Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: BSA Martini 22 Target rifle

BSA Martini 22 Target rifle

I got given this little gem the other day.
    Has anybody any idea what model it is and age the serial numbers are all the same 505xx
    Only problem i see is when you look through the rear sight the front sight is about 3 or 4 degree off to the left, how do i fix that. rear sight has PH7A on it
    Name:  IMG20240329102241.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  2.03 MB
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

I have one - mine has been extensively modified into a sporter and has a scope fitted - this one has had some mods to - the forend wood has been cut back - originally would have been a lot longer and a sling stud put under the barrel thats unusual the normally were into the wooden forend - now the front sight issue - they are on a dovetail so carefull tapping with a soft punch should move the sight back to its correct position inline to the bore - but make sure you use a punch /method that is not going to mark the sight - it may be very stiff to move - so if you are not confident get a gun smith to do it for you - model is I believe a model 1 Martini action BSA small bore - others on here may be more exact - I see it still has the original brass cup on forend that held the front sight blades neat touch many are missing - just a point to the whole breech block trigger assembly comes out - then you can put a cleaning rod thru just under the back peep sight neat touch from BSA
    Harryg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
    Has anybody any idea what model it is and age the serial numbers are all the same 505xx
    Only problem i see is when you look through the rear sight the front sight is about 3 or 4 degree off to the left, how do i fix that. rear sight has PH7A on it
    Attachment 246849
    Your rear sight will have windage adjustments so check that they are centred and test fire. If the front sight looks in the middle of the barrel you should not have a problem. If the front sight was off by 3 to 4 degrees it would not be on the barrel at all. Best test fire and adjust before anything else. do not file or change anything before that.
    GPM.
    AMac and Harryg like this.

good stuff ya onto it Granpamac - my thinking was maybe someone had moved sight over trying to get it off or some such - neat little units - mine has had barrel cut back to 18 inches and barrel profiled to reduce weight - suppressor fitted - and a scope mount made - just finishing the wood - stocks were very thick and heavy - just having a few problems getting final shape right - but what else do you do with them - ya turn them into a rather neat bunny buster that shoots

BSA
    It's a Model 12/15 by the look of it.
    Harryg and csmiffy like this.

yes did some looking one photo showed a model 12 and well it had a stud under the barrel as this one does so that could well be original - the forend was the same so maybe not cut back ( I have had two) certainly mine were a lot longer - but the photo shows a V sight on barrel as well as rear aperture and the fore end is chequered - maybe numbers of variations for same basic model ??

- I see it still has the original brass cup on forend that held the front sight blades neat touch many are missing - just a point to the whole breech block trigger assembly comes out - then you can put a cleaning rod thru just under the back peep sight neat touch from BSA[/QUOTE]

Brass cap is still there and it holds one extra blade sight there is a peep hole sight on it at the moment
    I can't remove the front stock the screw is in solid. I won't be parting with it or doing any modifications

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    It's a Model 12/15 by the look of it.
    Thought it might be a 12 any idea how old

should come out - they have a short steel sleeve thru the wood that the screw fits thru - whole thing must be rusted in - use a correct fitting screw driver - sometimes a slot head of correct shape and size on end of a socket set handle gives a lot better leverage than a screwdriver - I modify my screw drivers with a file when working on this old stuff to make sure the slot head screwdriver fits the screw exactly - but try to get it off then the underside of the barrel can have a good clean and oil - I had real problems getting the stock of one of mine - they have a big slot head bolt accessed thru a hole drilled right thru stock - used a strong bar socket set slot head combination and finally herd a squeak inside as the rust stopped holding hands -
    Harryg likes this.

Thought it might be a 12 any idea how old
    https://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Mode...Centurion.html

Early 30s
    BSA likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

- I see it still has the original brass cup on forend that held the front sight blades neat touch many are missing - just a point to the whole breech block trigger assembly comes out - then you can put a cleaning rod thru just under the back peep sight neat touch from BSA
    Brass cap is still there and it holds one extra blade sight there is a peep hole sight on it at the moment
    I can't remove the front stock the screw is in solid. I won't be parting with it or doing any modifications[/QUOTE]

if you change the front ring sight for the blade - be gentle with the thread on that front sight - they are a very very fine thread patience and a little light oil
    Harryg likes this.

Only problem i see is when you look through the rear sight the front sight is about 3 or 4 degree off to the left, how do i fix that. rear sight has PH7A on it]
    Do you mean the foresight is rotated anticlockwise from vert/ horizontal ?
    Maybe the butt isn’t vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Do you mean the foresight is rotated anticlockwise from vert/ horizontal ?
    Maybe the butt isn’t vertical.
    It looks like the foresight is rotated a few degrees but as the sight is in a dove tail i don't understand

can you put up a close photo or two front on and rear on is the ring foresight sitting correctly the back of the foresight screwed in properly just seems hard to understand rotated a few degrees well unless the bloody thing has been run over

Trying to get a good photo using the phone but this is about as good as i can get
    Doesn't look bad in photo but very noticeable when shouldered I know we all hold a gun a little bit different but not this much
    Name:  IMG20240329133539.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  2.05 MBName:  IMG20240329133542.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  3.03 MB