Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By Remmodel7
  • 3 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3

Thread: Carbon stock repair advice

Carbon stock repair advice

Carbon firbre stock cracked through the join, I tried a quick fix, Dremel wider and fill with jb weld, then paint but it's failed again.

Any advice to repair? Not worried about anesthetics, aas thinking some fiberglass from mitre 10 and wrap a few layers around pistol grip.

Name:  20221218_134644.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  286.2 KB
    Name:  20221218_134701.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  281.3 KB

100 mile an hour tape comes to mind LOL
    take to professional ,the results of failure under pressure with carbon arrows are not pretty and that bit of carbon is pretty close to your face and eyes.... dont risk it for the biscuit.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    100 mile an hour tape comes to mind LOL
    take to professional ,the results of failure under pressure with carbon arrows are not pretty and that bit of carbon is pretty close to your face and eyes.... dont risk it for the biscuit.
    It's held up to about 300 rounds before I "repaired" it so don't think immediate failure is likely. All ears if you have a suggested professional

@stug any suggestions for who or how ?
    #DANNYCENT

How did it happen?
    Normally failures in this location on a wooden stock point to a bedding and recoil lug issue/failure. With the receiver being forced back under recoil causing a split in the wrist.
    However the square back end of your receiver I wouldn't think would cause a splitting force under recoil. Although if the recoil force is being transmitted through the action screw it may do this.
    You want to sort this out if it's the cause before or as part of the fix.

If I wasn't too worried about aesthetics to fix I would sand back and put a few wraps around the wrist of fibreglass or carbon fibre cloth to reinforce and epoxy. Then sand smooth again. You could probably get it near to original dimension if done carefully.
    An alternative to try and maintain aesthetics might be to make a hole in the bedding area and apply FG/carbon cloth on the inside and then epoxy bed the stock to fill the hole again. You may also chose to fill the stock with a lightweight filler to provide additional support to both the wrist and bedding.
    Last edited by Makros; 18-12-2022 at 03:37 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Baking Soda and superglue is pretty amazing
    I’d be inclined to use the fibreglass two part for something this fancy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fibreglass boat builder perhaps???... 100 mph tape comes in variety of colors......including clear,green,brown.black.LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Because I'm impatient I'm already into it... fiberglass mat and epoxy resin... first layer is on, will wait for that to dry then sand and do another wrap, then sand smooth
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Carbon firbre stock cracked through the join, I tried a quick fix, Dremel wider and fill with jb weld, then paint but it's failed again.

Any advice to repair? Not worried about anesthetics, aas thinking some fiberglass from mitre 10 and wrap a few layers around pistol grip.

Attachment 212616
    Attachment 212617
    R93 ? Suggest Stu G is your man….

B

Go to fiberglass nz ithink it is and get some carbon thread. A few wraps and epoxy resin not polyester.
    You will need to get rid of that paint and try to rough it up a bit to get some bite into it
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Name:  20221219_181030.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  323.8 KB
    Name:  20221219_181022.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  233.2 KB

This will do I think
    outdoorlad, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Is the carbon stock completely hollow in the wrist ? If it is that would likely seem the problem with the shock wave at recoil traveling down each side and compressing, even corrugating the stock wrist momentarily perhaps ? then dissipating outwards. The glass wrap will stop the outward expansion but it wont stop an inward compression. Would it be possible to foam fill the area and add some cross braces ?

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    How did it happen?
    Normally failures in this location on a wooden stock point to a bedding and recoil lug issue/failure. With the receiver being forced back under recoil causing a split in the wrist.
    However the square back end of your receiver I wouldn't think would cause a splitting force under recoil. Although if the recoil force is being transmitted through the action screw it may do this.
    You want to sort this out if it's the cause before or as part of the fix.

If I wasn't too worried about aesthetics to fix I would sand back and put a few wraps around the wrist of fibreglass or carbon fibre cloth to reinforce and epoxy. Then sand smooth again. You could probably get it near to original dimension if done carefully.
    An alternative to try and maintain aesthetics might be to make a hole in the bedding area and apply FG/carbon cloth on the inside and then epoxy bed the stock to fill the hole again. You may also chose to fill the stock with a lightweight filler to provide additional support to both the wrist and bedding.
    Sorry just saw this, stock has had a hard life, stock is built in 2 half then epoxied together, it's split down that join. It's a blaser stock so action is screwed into stock, not by that little screw you can see.

Basically have taken your advice, cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Is the carbon stock completely hollow in the wrist ? If it is that would likely seem the problem with the shock wave at recoil traveling down each side and compressing, even corrugating the stock wrist momentarily perhaps ? then dissipating outwards. The glass wrap will stop the outward expansion but it wont stop an inward compression. Would it be possible to foam fill the area and add some cross braces ?
    Was going to foam fill, but decided against. Could do that by taking off the recoil pad I guess. Carbon/fibreglass has very little flex strength so I don't think it would make much difference