Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: a cat endorsed onto your e cat

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    For those interested in the original theme of the thread, Arms Officers have been told "No A's to E".
    Then how come bevis I was able to change mine over with relatively no fuss. And it was only a few weeks ago. This was my first time at this process and now my first mssa on my E endorsement.

Things have changed between then and now. My friend tried yesterday and was told NO. The NZSRA president posted on Sport Shooter that his AO received an e mail from PNHQ today saying " no A cat's to be moved to E cat". You got in before the lock.

Things have changed between then and now. My friend tried yesterday and was told NO. The NZSRA president posted on Sport Shooter that his AO received an e mail from PNHQ today saying " no A cat's to be moved to E cat". You got in before the lock.
    Oh lucky me, maybe they fear a flood of applications.

No a-e forever?? Or just temporarily? That's utterly retarded and I can't imagine the justification for it. There isn't even any internal logic within the way this stuff is handled.

NSA
    This is why it is suggested that the way to successfully do what you want is to cease thinking / acting / communicating in terms of moving one letter of the alphabet into another.

The actual process that is embarked on is "manufacturing" a "military style semi automatic firearm".

The only thing required to manufacture a military style semi automatic firearm is that you first obtain an endorsement for that individual firearm.

The condition precedent to obtaining an endorsement is that you are "fit and proper." If you are fit and proper, the arms officer cannot refuse to issue you the endorsement applied for.

The astute civilian gun owner who wants to manufacture a military style semi automatic firearm will simply and quietly ask the Arms Officer for the application forms for an endorsement without running off at the mouth and saying anything more.

In the application section where is asks what firearm you're interested in buying: write down: "An AR15 .223"

Once the application is completed, hand it in to the arms office in an envelope, complete with the $204 fee receipt. There is no requirement at this stage to discuss anything further with the arms officer.

The arms officer is then obliged by law to process and determine your application on the basis of your fitness and properness.

Once you have the endorsement, then write (enail) the arms officer; cc: LVC PNHQ and provide the serial number of the AR15 that you have then manufactured into military style semi automatic configuration.

Job done

As can be seen, nowhere in the process does the concept of moving one letter to another get discussed or become controversial. The arms officer is unlikely to be obstructive and difficult because he or she is simply unaware that you are intending to manufacture your own military style semi automatic firearm.

Essentially there are two ways of approaching the problem. Option (A) is the astute and intelligent legal method. Option (B) is to be transparent aka 'run off at the mouth' and let the arms officer and PNHQ walk all over you with illegal policies. Imagine Everest with two routes the easy way and the hard way.... if you want to get to the top, take the easy route... if you love the personal challenge of a relentless grind, take the hard route. NSA has blazed the easy south east ridge for you with lots of difficult work and expense over the last two years... why would you then want to take the west ridge direct?

But what happens when PNHQ has issued a directive to AO's stating they are not to process any applications in the meantime - there is no time limits involved as far as processing an application as far as I am aware.
    That way the Police achieve what they want through "other" means.
    It is only once they have approved your application, then you can "manufacture" you MSSA if I am reading the above correctly?

NSA
    Quote Originally Posted by muzr257 View Post
    But what happens when PNHQ has issued a directive to AO's stating they are not to process any applications in the meantime - there is no time limits involved as far as processing an application as far as I am aware.
    That way the Police achieve what they want through "other" means.
    It is only once they have approved your application, then you can "manufacture" you MSSA if I am reading the above correctly?
    It is understood that the directive applies to endorsement applications where it is the understanding of the arms officers that the applicant wants to convert what is referred to as a A category firearm to an E category firearm. In fact because you are not doing that; rather you are manufacturing a military style semi automatic firearm, the ostensible directive does not effect you.

However if that is incorrect and there is a directive floating around that all endorsement applications are on hold, please let NSA know asap so that we can sue for nonfeasance.

Similar in practice to the US system of "tax stamps" for NFA items.

R93
    Righto, stupid question time
    I hold an E endorsed licence. I do not own at this time any E cat firearms. If say, I borrow a high mag capacity capable A cat rifle, in an AR platform and slap one of my 30rnd mags in it, technically converting it to E cat, is that a no no or is it all good because I hold an E endorced licence?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

You're manufacturing an MSSA by doing that, and to manufacture an MSSA you must hold an endorsement for THAT MSSA on your license. As I understand it.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    You're manufacturing an MSSA by doing that, and to manufacture an MSSA you must hold an endorsement for THAT MSSA on your license. As I understand it.
    I suspected as much, ta.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I'm not too sure, but has the court ruling effectively annulled the E license endorsement. Going back to the law, as it was passed my parliament rather than the police interpretation, has court ruled that the firearm itself has to be 'attached' to the license holder. A way around this is to 'manufacture' (what we have previously called an E-Cat) MSSA and simply hand the police a form stating that you have (or more correctly time wise will) manufactured the firearm instead.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Which makes it interesting as to how it's recorded on your license.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    My understanding is you need a Dealers license to mfg....