Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cerakote

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    What about the air dry stuff? No good? Where are you sourcing it from, be pretty keen to give it a go myself
    I will let you know as I progress mate. I am not sure on pros and cons of air drying. It all can air dry as I understand it. It just takes a week from what I have read. Only 2-3 hours hot cureing.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    Cool dude, keen to see how it goes

R93
    Righto, got everything I need and its enough to do 3-4 complete guns. More than I need for now. I have since learned you can only use the air-dry stuff on scopes. So it is slightly dearer.
    I wont be doing any of my scopes anyway.
    Already, including my time, (hopefully enjoyable) it has worked out cheaper (minus air compressor in the shed) than I was quoted to have just a barrel done, bonus!
    From what I can gather, apart from thorough degreasing of all parts awaiting the paint, there are no hidden problems to ruin a good outcome, as long as instructions are followed.

can only use air dryed on scopes, or can use it on everything including scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    as long as instructions are followed.
    Do not breathe that shit
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    can only use air dryed on scopes, or can use it on everything including scopes?
    I was told that only the air dry will work on scopes. The heat cure stuff wont do a great job because it wont set as well. I doubt it matters if you are set up to be able to touch up whenever.

It goes on really, really thin. It wont even effect fine threads apparently.
    I will be testing it on something simple first, to make sure I get it right.

Pffft!!! as far as breathing it goes, I have been breathing in heaps worse stuff for years and I have suffered no obvious side effects(I picture around 30L of various beverages spat over several computers around Nz about now)

Na, a mask is a must.
    Last edited by R93; 12-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Wait till the missus goes out then whack all the small bits on the oven !! If you knew someone who did pottery it would be handy as !!
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Wait till the missus goes out then whack all the small bits on the oven !! If you knew someone who did pottery it would be handy as !!
    Got a large oven sorted for anything really long or majorly big for the odd feed of venison or whitebait.
    Most anything else will go in an old spare oven we have. Cooks none to happy why it is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Got a large oven sorted for anything really long or majorly big for the odd feed of venison or whitebait.
    Most anything else will go in an old spare oven we have. Cooks none to happy why it is still around.
    Good to make sure your degrease process is thorough. Bit of heat sure helps that along. We use quite a lot of resin and similar. Heat takes the wait out of that process for sure ..
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Good to make sure your degrease process is thorough. Bit of heat sure helps that along. We use quite a lot of resin and similar. Heat takes the wait out of that process for sure ..
    Not sure on what I will use to degrease at this stage but it will invlove heat. Used to phosphate and blue a lot off stuff and had access to a trichloroethylene bath.
    Wish I still did, it was so quick.