Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A change in rifle

A change in rifle

Hey guys, new here but looking for a little advice. Currently have a 270 that I’m attempting to sell on the yellow site... I’ve loved it but being a one and half income family with one kid and one on the way I’ve got to free up some funds. Anyway, I’d like something shorter barrelled to suppress...a do anything rifle if you will. I’m leaning towards a 308 or 7mm08...and now go with the advice please (apart from saying keep the 270! I’d love too!)

see the how short with 270 thread......
    I used a 20" non suppressed 270 for 20plus years as main rifle....suppressed it was a heap nicer rifle to use...the 308 or 7mm-8 wont do anything much better....by picking your loads carefully there is stuff all in it between 270 and 308.....and Ive owned both for last few years and then decided the 308 needed a new home as the 270 could do all the same just as well.
    you COULD buy cheap 308,cut it short and suppress it...and if you dont shoot past 250 yards NORMALLY .....well you could be perfectly happy..... but you could do that with the 270 too...suppressed at 20" they are a good all round rifle.

Have you priced up the cost to change rifles ?
    Is it really worth doing ?
    But I would imagine if you wanted to go ahead with it something like a bergara single shot in 308 might fit the bill. Short threaded barrel from factory and relatively cheap , just add optics and suppressor. A little on the heavier side though and obviously only single shot .
    But tend to agree with @Micky Duck
    Would you really keep enough money in your pocket from the sale of the 270 to make the regrets worth it....
    HandH likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Banned
    Chop the 270. It'll be raging.

Changing rifles can become a habit that's fun but without gain. My mate asked me if I have a dealers licence one time.
    GSP HUNTER, Cordite, HandH and 1 others like this.

Chop your 270, whack a DPT on it and shoot cheap factory ammo. Much cheaper excercise
    HandH and Ftx325 like this.

Okay so interested to hear about chopping the 270... I was under the general impression that it wasn’t the best thing to do...

No not that one! If it was I’d be keeping it. It’s a marlin
    Phil_H likes this.

chopping them really short is a bit silly...like buying a ferrari and putting speed limiter in it.... 20" with can isnt unwieldly to carry,my new howa has 22'' barrel and with spartan 40mm can fitted is fine to carry/stalk with.....old rifle was 20" you could go shorter within reason but dont for goodness sake fire it WITHOUT suppressor...even at 20" they can be painful on ears.....too short and you not going to burn your powder inside barrel so will be flamethrower with lotsa BOOM.... I had really short light rifle and yes nice to carry and stalk with...but old heavy long one not so much of an issue so went back to old faithful and have been happy.
    Dusty Fog likes this.

Banned
    It's hard to go past a 270 for versatility. To make it 'do anything' have you tried different bullet weights ? Mine shoots 90 grn Hollow Points very well for goats etc and now I am using 140 grn Accubonds for stags. Covers all bases
    GSP HUNTER, Micky Duck and HandH like this.

This is all good information and good food for thought. Appreciate the help

Cordite likes this.

303 Sporter with a Scope and Can.

Cheap,"ammo-a-plenty"accurate enough for 99% of hunting situations in NZ.
    Cordite likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by greenblue View Post
    Hey guys, new here but looking for a little advice. Currently have a 270 that I’m attempting to sell on the yellow site... I’ve loved it but being a one and half income family with one kid and one on the way I’ve got to free up some funds. Anyway, I’d like something shorter barrelled to suppress...a do anything rifle if you will. I’m leaning towards a 308 or 7mm08...and now go with the advice please (apart from saying keep the 270! I’d love too!)
    Keep it and shorten it. Swapping wont gain much and you wont have enough change to justify changing to another rifle. Take into account the costs of swapping ammo etc and just like that you spent money you were trying to save. Some of the guys here may not like to hear it, but swapping a 270 for a 7mm08 is even more pointless as both are close enough to the other in performance that I would not bother. And while the 308 might be cheaper to feed, depending on its ammo preference, it may not be cheaper either....Certainly the animals cannot tell the difference...

Shorten it a bit and suppress it if you want, but personally the only wise words I can give you is "better the devil you know than one you dont...."
    Dublin and Micky Duck like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    It's hard to go past a 270 for versatility. To make it 'do anything' have you tried different bullet weights ? Mine shoots 90 grn Hollow Points very well for goats etc and now I am using 140 grn Accubonds for stags. Covers all bases
    Job done, one gun to rule them all. "The great 270" .
    I'm a big fan of the 110 ttsx and pro hunters. Never tried 140 accubonds but I hear good things.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

270 is a larger case so stepping down to a 308 or 7m08 you are going backwards 100-150 fps in velocity.
    Z
    Moa Hunter likes this.