Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Chassis Rifle reviews/feedback

I was hanging out for the new SIG Cross, but hearing from the supplier today it won't be till sometime next year before they make a NZ legal version (pinned stock or longer barrel). I'm inpatient so I'm after info from all you who shoot chassis rifles as to what you find is the best? Feel, fit, weight and options etc.

I think I want to put a Tikka in one but could be swung to a Howa as have had good Howa's in the past. If anyone has a complete set up or just a chassis for sale I'd also like to know

Thanks in advance for the input
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

@Mikey-p...?
    born to hunt - forced to work

@Mikey-p...?
    Currently got mdt lss chassis with rem 700 action in for sales...may be an option for you @nzfubz
    born to hunt - forced to work

The sig cross is going to revolutionise that market. At half the price of the Q rifle and lighter as well. The factory barrel of the Q rifle is quite heavy ( think tikka Ctr profile roughly).

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I have a brand new chassis for a tikka here, never been out of the box plus a 10rd mag [223] is this what your after or a bigger cartridge.
    It's this one here , scroll down for the full view, Mate has one he has a Howa in and I was impressed with the way it fitted, handled and shot so bought one for the Tikka and the mag
    However It has just sat under the reloading desk , never been out of the box
    Probably move it on if your interested.
    http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ri...chassis-stocks
    Last edited by jakewire; 25-09-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

what do want it to do for you? hunting? match shooting? f class? short range? long range? heavy weight? light weight?

I've got a rem 700 in 6.5 creed in a mdt lss for sale........
    It's also on tm if you want an idea of what it looks like

As blair993 said, your application should influence what type of chassis you go for as there arw so many out there now.

Ideally try to handle as many as possible before dropping the $$$$ as they all feel different. Sure most you can adjust butt length and cheek rest height but they they all have their own characteristics.

Ive had a few over the years,

Original AICS- heavy, forearm very square so not that comfortable to hold if shooting unsupported, thumbhole grip not that comfortable for some people.

XLR Element- More of tube gun look with enclosed barrel, lighter that the AICS, can change grip as takes AR grips.

KRG Whisky 3- Heavy but very adjustable other than the grip.

MDT LSS- personally this is best suited to a rifle with a barrel less than 18" as has a short forearm and with a long barrel looks out of proportion. Takes AR grips and butt stocks. More of a multi role chassis. Light weight.

MDT LSS XL - same as above but with a longer forearm so looks better with longer barrelled rifles.

MDT ESS- Can be configured in a lot of different ways as you and choose different butt stock, grips, forends etc so can be built to your end use.

Those are just my quick thoughts after owning the above chassis. A folding buttstock can help with cleaning as the cheek rest sometimes need to be removed/lowered on the fixed buttstocks so you can get a cleaning rod trough the barrel. Not a biggy but something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I have a brand new chassis for a tikka here, never been out of the box plus a 10rd mag [223] is this what your after or a bigger cartridge.
    It's this one here , scroll down for the full view, Mate has one he has a Howa in and I was impressed with the way it fitted, handled and shot so bought one for the Tikka and the mag
    However It has just sat under the reloading desk , never been out of the box
    Probably move it on if your interested.
    SCSA TSP X Modular Chassis Stocks - Sporting Shooter
    Thanks I'll read some reviews, Ideally after a 6.5. Looks like a nice piece of kit

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    what do want it to do for you? hunting? match shooting? f class? short range? long range? heavy weight? light weight?

Hunting, short to med range, light weight. Main reason is I have always liked the look of chassis rifles especially the folding stock options for being compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-p View Post
    I've got a rem 700 in 6.5 creed in a mdt lss for sale........
    It's also on tm if you want an idea of what it looks like
    I'll have a look, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    As blair993 said, your application should influence what type of chassis you go for as there arw so many out there now.

Ideally try to handle as many as possible before dropping the $$$$ as they all feel different. Sure most you can adjust butt length and cheek rest height but they they all have their own characteristics.

Those are just my quick thoughts after owning the above chassis. A folding buttstock can help with cleaning as the cheek rest sometimes need to be removed/lowered on the fixed buttstocks so you can get a cleaning rod trough the barrel. Not a biggy but something to consider.
    Thanks for that, would not have thought of that
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas