Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 4 Post By Dorkus
  • 2 Post By superdiver

Thread: Cheap spotting scope

Cheap spotting scope

Hey guys just looking for some suggestions please for lower end spotters. This won't really be for hunting it will spend 99% of its life being used from home observing offshore islands etc as the binos are sharp but not quite up to observing 70kms~ for sustained periods. Found some cheaper bushnell trophys on Amazon but thought I would see what everyone else thought first.
    Cheers

I have used a few Kowa and they work pretty well.

Try these guys- They seem to be fairly well priced. https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

My wife shouted me a Vanguard Endeavour thru Jacobs Digital. It suits range use as able to see target holes at 300yds depending on the weather (heat shimmer). I can easily spot cows in their paddocks at several Kms from the lounge window. Jacobs had these spotters reduced from about $1200 to high 9’s.
    Shearer and Eat Meater like this.

Thanks for this thread. Unfortunately lower end is where it's at for me too and it will mostly be for stargazing. The Vortex Diamondback 16-48x65 has great reviews in the lower band and is what I'll get unless there are alternatives I've missed. Rubber Monkey have good prices

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    Thanks for this thread. Unfortunately lower end is where it's at for me too and it will mostly be for stargazing. The Vortex Diamondback 16-48x65 has great reviews in the lower band and is what I'll get unless there are alternatives I've missed. Rubber Monkey have good prices

Spend a wee bit more and get the Delta Titanium. You are literally throwing money away buying most stuff under $2k but the Titanium performs extremely well for it's price
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Might have to do without for a couple of years then! Will keep it in mind

I have some Vanguard Endeavors and I definitely wouldn't regard them as money thrown away. Like @superdiver, they spend 99% of their life at home (I spot deer up above our house from 1.5km away) and they have had a couple of fly in trips. Mine are the 15-45x and clarity is very good, diminishing a bit at the top of the mag range. Not sure what they cost now but I got a hell deal on mine with a fancy tripod for the cost of the tripod alone. Normal price then was about $800 iirc.
    Eat Meater likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Hey guys just looking for some suggestions please for lower end spotters. This won't really be for hunting it will spend 99% of its life being used from home observing offshore islands etc as the binos are sharp but not quite up to observing 70kms~ for sustained periods. Found some cheaper bushnell trophys on Amazon but thought I would see what everyone else thought first.
    Cheers
    "offshore islands" is code for "hot neighbour" innit?
    Konev, madmaori, 6x47 and 1 others like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Yeah was unsure about mag range, not really fussed as 10x binos let me see enough to get excited so imagine 40x would be more than sufficient. Found some athlon tales 20-60 in the states mega cheap or bushnell trophys of similar zoom for $206 + shipping + tripod. Like I said will be used for mostly looking to sea and I suppose at the range but not going to be taking hunting trying to age Animals at range.
    Shearer and Dorkus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    "offshore islands" is code for "hot neighbour" innit?
    Unfortunately I don't have any hot neighbors at this place!