Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Choosing calibre based on ammunition availablitiy

There are 308s & 308s sorry to muddy the water. The 308 started life with a 1/12 twist and was designed for 150g/155g projectiles and is good at this, indeed some long barreled target versions had 1/14 and when pushing speeds which worked extremely well.
    The 308 is a very versatile caliber, Example recently I had the choice of Bergara 1/8 twist with a 16 inch barrel, if my intention was to make or use sub sonics, the answer is yes, but killing and accuracy range is basically 100 meters, counter balance that with heavy high Bc projectiles, they are moving out to slow from a 16 inch barrel to enjoy the advantages of the high Bc projectile.
    So bought a 1/12 reduced it from 20 to 18 inches, main purpose from 125 sierra prohunters at a medium speed, light recoil, effective range to 300M. Now play time it shot speer 165sp half inch. 308s are awesome.
    caberslash likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    There are 308s & 308s sorry to muddy the water. The 308 started life with a 1/12 twist and was designed for 150g/155g projectiles and is good at this, indeed some long barreled target versions had 1/14 and when pushing speeds which worked extremely well.
    The 308 is a very versatile caliber, Example recently I had the choice of Bergara 1/8 twist with a 16 inch barrel, if my intention was to make or use sub sonics, the answer is yes, but killing and accuracy range is basically 100 meters, counter balance that with heavy high Bc projectiles, they are moving out to slow from a 16 inch barrel to enjoy the advantages of the high Bc projectile.
    So bought a 1/12 reduced it from 20 to 18 inches, main purpose from 125 sierra prohunters at a medium speed, light recoil, effective range to 300M. Now play time it shot speer 165sp half inch. 308s are awesome.
    Mate, you forgot the obvious choice, which is to have a 1:8 308 and a 1:12 308!

I found the velocity difference between my 16.5" 1:8 and 23.5" 1:12 was a lot less than I expected, 140fps (with factory ammo from the same box), so only losing 20fps/inch.

In order of availability:

.22LR
    9mm
    12 gauge

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iambatman View Post
    I have browsed the secondhand rifles. I'll have a proper look once I'm licensed and can actually buy something from there.

The 270 is another chambering that sounded good in my reading, but everyone I talked to face to face recommended a 308, as well as most on this forum. I suppose if I buy secondhand then the rifle comes in the caliber it comes in, though if I buy new then I can make the choice. To be honest, I am leaning quite heavily towards the 308.
    Keep in mind that if you buy a 270 you will need fewer bullets
    GSP HUNTER and 257weatherby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Keep in mind that if you buy a 270 you will need fewer bullets
    Why is that? Inaccuracy? Less effective bullets? 270 is easier on the shooter?

....because you smell more when you are carrying a poo70....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Think about it ... fewer shots needed, easier to hit with at distance and fewer follow up shots needed. In saying that 308 is inherently a more accurate round than 270 as a target job

@iambatman cartridge debates are normally a recipe for a good old fashioned forum shit fight, especially 308 vs 270! All cartridges have their pros and cons but you can’t go too far wrong with a 308. And if you think the 308 might be a bit of a slouch, have a look at the numbers on Hornady’s superformance 168gr eldm. This stuff shoots flat and hits hard, at distances far beyond you or I need to shoot out to (and this ammo is still readily available…)

Also, don’t discount the 243. Sure, it doesn’t have the down range energy of the bigger calibers but it’s adequate for 90% of NZ hunting and that lack of recoil is a great attribute for new shooters. Ammo availability is still good too
    257weatherby likes this.

the 270 made its mark when we didnt have rangefinders and nobody twiddled n fiddled with dials...round figures 3" high at 100 yards,smack on again at 270 yards,4" drop 325 yards hold on spine 400 yards....too easy to remember. and 400 yards is a LOOOOOOONG way away.
    257weatherby and RV1 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the 270 made its mark when we didnt have rangefinders and nobody twiddled n fiddled with dials...round figures 3" high at 100 yards,smack on again at 270 yards,4" drop 325 yards hold on spine 400 yards....too easy to remember. and 400 yards is a LOOOOOOONG way away.
    I agree. I am making the guess that our new rifle owner is not going to be dialing straight off but is going to be trembling with excitement so needs to keep it simple. So a 270 and a rangefinder is a good way to start.
    Sure a 7mm saum with a flash scope is way better but for a simple start up I dont think a 270 should be dismissed in favour of 308 when there are a couple for sale on here.

Settle down everyone,
    Iambatman asked a specific question about a first rifle to buy during an ammo and component drought I think that this has been answered in a .308 W for the reasons given. So iambatman get your .308 when your FAL finally appears. Scope it, suppress it, sight it in and go hunting. At some later stage some other calibre will catch your eye from the vast aray available today. There will be even more by then. You will have learn't much by then and will be able to select something that tickles your fancy. This is the time to look at the fancy pants calibres. In due course and with luck you will arrive in early old age with a cupboard full of interesting rifles to play with. Hopefully you will still have the .308. This is what has happened to me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Settle down everyone,
    Iambatman asked a specific question about a first rifle to buy during an ammo and component drought I think that this has been answered in a .308 W for the reasons given. So iambatman get your .308 when your FAL finally appears. Scope it, suppress it, sight it in and go hunting. At some later stage some other calibre will catch your eye from the vast aray available today. There will be even more by then. You will have learn't much by then and will be able to select something that tickles your fancy. This is the time to look at the fancy pants calibres. In due course and with luck you will arrive in early old age with a cupboard full of interesting rifles to play with. Hopefully you will still have the .308. This is what has happened to me.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    And if the question is what make of rifle to buy?

Howa, Howa, Howa.

Sure, has it's failings like the standard stock and trigger not too flash, but the action itself is extremely solid, best parts of the Rem700 and Sako L/A series fused together by the Japanese.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Settle down everyone,
    Regards Grandpamac.
    A quick look at Guncity shows 40 different types of hunting ammo available for 308 and 23 for 270 so the 308 wins out for ammo selection, but the OP wont run out of choice if they buy a 270. The point was made earlier in the thread that if a rifle could be bought at a good price then the extra money set aside could be spent stocking up on ammo. Either choice is good re ammo availability but I think 270 wins for point and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I agree. I am making the guess that our new rifle owner is not going to be dialing straight off but is going to be trembling with excitement so needs to keep it simple. So a 270 and a rangefinder is a good way to start.
    Correct, I won't be dialling initially. I believe I will use MPBR, stalk as close as I need to then aim for the centre of the vitals.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

so to clarify that/simplify it...MPBR =maximum point blank range....which can best be described like this...you are shooting through a long pipe that is 8" in diameter....the size of animals vitals give or take...so your projectile can go no higher ,or lower than 4" from centre of pipe/your line of SIGHT/what your Xhair is on.
    Moa Hunter likes this.