Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Which Chronograph?

I also just picked up a magnetospeed v3, unused but 2nd hand for $650. Theres deals to be had every now and again
    Liam258 and dannyb like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I had a couple of Fi Chronys when I was starting out in the reloading game.
    The first gave me a good start and an idea of speed depending on the day and how the whole game worked. That before I shot it.
    I purchased another which I still have.
    I got My Magneto Speed V3 second hand with very little use when people who had them were selling them because they really needed a labradar.
    Pleased I did.
    308 and dannyb like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    +1 to magnetospeed. No more light issues. Just works.
    Yeh but have to develop load then check velocitys. Bit of a pain sold mine and brought a labrador while overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    I also just picked up a magnetospeed v3, unused but 2nd hand for $650. Theres deals to be had every now and again
    Whats going on with the prices they where 450 new from Wilsons when I brought mine a few years back sold it for more than I brought it in the end and brought a labradar

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    @dannyb @gadgetman @chainsaw yeah I would not mind a magnetospeed but they are about $1000?

What did you pay for yours second hand @chainsaw ?
    From memory it was around $700

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a Prochrono that is over 20 years old, and a Magnetospeed V3 I bought secondhand. I fired 5 shots over both, for 3 of the shots there was only a 1fps difference between the two, IIRC the other shots were 10 and 50fps difference, which I am confident was due to the Prochrono turning a bit sideways due to muzzle blast from the previous shot (I had it much closer to muzzle than recommended).
    Prochrono works great on overcast days, get some weird readings on sunny days (9147fps for my 308 last Thursday!). The Magnetospeed is much more consistent, but affects point of impact a lot, and possibly group sizes as well, so load development needs to be done separately from velocities.
    Stocky and 308mate like this.

I have prochono dlx blue tooth model, Its handy having the values called out & details recorded on the cellphone app. No issues with accuracy when compared to mates f1. Price was good too.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

57JL
    I have the basic F1 chrony gives me a good indication as to how well different powders work and that shows up with SD s and velocity and helps me tune my reloading to make ammo that is consistent that I can rely on to do the job would,t be without it
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had the other 35p and when I put my pro chrono on top of it there was an average of 3fps in the results.
    I sold the 35 and put the loot towards an annealler which is a way more useful tool.
    I only ever use a chrony for the es which with the annealler and validation just about makes a chrono obsolete.
    The only chrono I would by now is the labradar and will do at some point just to play with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Stocky like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Is there a relatively good but cheap model?
    Im interested in one myself but not looking to spend too much
    Mine is a ProChrono from Gunworks. What I have done is make a permanent mount position for it so it always goes back in the same place and always aligned to the bench. Just a length of dressed 8x2 attached under the bench with a little bracket the Chrono sits in at the far end. Works perfectly fine.
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Mine is a ProChrono from Gunworks. What I have done is make a permanent mount position for it so it always goes back in the same place and always aligned to the bench. Just a length of dressed 8x2 attached under the bench with a little bracket the Chrono sits in at the far end. Works perfectly fine.
    Yours is also sheltered from direct sunlight too which will help
    308mate likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yours is also sheltered from direct sunlight too which will help
    After I built the covid 'lockdown project' shed over the bench I read the chrono instructions and dappled light is out, so then I had to cut a whole lot of branches off the hedge to give a clear sky veiw. If the Chrono is set up as per instructions ( distance and alignment ) it works fine. Certainly subsonic ammo sounds different with higher recorded velocity - meaning if the noise is louder the Chrono shows a velocity increase. With centrefire load development, increases in powder give velocity increases (and decreases) and print different group positions and sizes in keeping with what would be expected.
    308mate likes this.

@dannyb @gadgetman @chainsaw yeah I would not mind a magnetospeed but they are about $1000?
    The sporter model is $450 or there about's in NZ, it has exactly the same accuracy as the V3 model which is around $950. The downside is the sporter doesn't work so well with a suppressor and needs the Bayonet modified for best results.
    As mentioned previously you can buy the sporter and a V3 Bayonet for an extra $338 and it comes out cheaper than a V3
    Last edited by winaa; 08-10-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    308mate likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Cheers for all the info guys. As the place where I shoot is over an hour from where I live it will be a bit of a pain turning up and finding I can't use the Chrony due to the sun etc.

So I am leaning towards the Magnetospeed or Labradar, may just have to sell a couple of things.

Does the magnetospeed.com site ship to nz?

Are there ever sales on the Labradar? Eg Sika Show etc?

Seems like it is pretty pricey - $1300 for the base unit, plus 200 for the case and 200 for the stand...$1700!
    dannyb likes this.

Banned
    Cheers for all the info guys. As the place where I shoot is over an hour from where I live it will be a bit of a pain turning up and finding I can't use the Chrony due to the sun etc.

So I am leaning towards the Magnetospeed or Labradar, may just have to sell a couple of things.

Does the magnetospeed.com site ship to nz?

Are there ever sales on the Labradar? Eg Sika Show etc?

Seems like it is pretty pricey - $1300 for the base unit, plus 200 for the case and 200 for the stand...$1700!
    See if you can hire a Chrony. There was / is a forum one somewhere ???. Hire one and see how it goes and if you can, get to the range really early - before any mirage or wind and that will help groups regardless of a chrony
    308mate likes this.