Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Clip on Night Vision

Clip on Night Vision

Can anyone help explain the different models of clip on NV that are available on the market?
    I see Sytong and Pard are the main two brands but both have lot's of different models that I can't really tell what the differences are.

I hated the idea of adding a butt spacer so thought that a dedicated NV scope would be the way to go, but if I don't need to do that then I like the idea of being able to use a single unit on my 22, 17hmr and 223.

What I do know is:
    Can get range finding and non range finding models.
    850nm vs 940nm is the wavelength of IR "light" with pros and cons each way
    Pard 007A was the original model which needed a butt spacer of some sort to get behind it properly, the 007S is 45mm shorter that you don't need the butt spacer.

How do they Sytong models (HT-66, -77, -88) and the Pard 007SP compare?

I'm leaning towards the Pard 007S at the moment but see 55six has some good pricing on the HT-77 LRF which sounds appealiing but I can't tell if Id need a butt spacer or not.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may need spacer, if using the pard having a parallax adjustable scope is best some high end scope don’t allow much ir light in so can give poor images, the pard can be used in the day time aswell if that’s any use

get a nv/day scope and dont worry about clip ons
    i have a mint rossi 22mag with sytong 66 scope all unused/unfired if you want it for 1500 plus delivery
    Micky Duck likes this.

Im just having a play with this type of thing, so Im definatley no expert but I do have one. Mines a ht66, having never been into this before I have nothing else in real life to compare it to. I dont need a spacer to use this one and it can be used in day mode or night mode. It can record shots and can link to a phone or tablet so someone else can see what your looking at as well. The instructions are hard to follow but if your into all your techy stuff you might find it easier. It does mess your night vision up for a bit as your looking at a bright screen. You can use the unit by its self for looking around as well. A paralax scope would be a lot better and you need to make sure you have a scope that the adaptors will fit. I didnt want to have a dedicated night rifle as it wouldnt get used enough to justfy the cost. If you lived closer you could have a play with my one, for the money I paid Im happy with it.

I've had a pard 007 for several years and apart from the need for a slip on recoil pad to regain eye relief, can't fault it. It goes between a 22, and 223 a ranging function might be useful on the 22 but the illuminator runs out of grunt around 200m. By that I mean you can still see past that but image quality and hence ID becomes too vague for my liking. I added a sytong axillary illuminator which adds about 50 m to the good vision range but that's not why I got it, it was to conserve the units battery. 850 is the best wavelength. If I didn't have the pard, I'd take that sytong, don't sweat the recoil pad thing worry more about if your scopes don't have parallax you'll have either fuzzy cross hairs or target images
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I've had a pard 007 for several years and apart from the need for a slip on recoil pad to regain eye relief, can't fault it. It goes between a 22, and 223 a ranging function might be useful on the 22 but the illuminator runs out of grunt around 200m. By that I mean you can still see past that but image quality and hence ID becomes too vague for my liking. I added a sytong axillary illuminator which adds about 50 m to the good vision range but that's not why I got it, it was to conserve the units battery. 850 is the best wavelength. If I didn't have the pard, I'd take that sytong, don't sweat the recoil pad thing worry more about if your scopes don't have parallax you'll have either fuzzy cross hairs or target images
    All my scopes have parralax adjustment so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have a variety of different stocks/chassis so didn't want to get multiple recoil pads, so didn't want to have to deal with LOP issues.

Do use your Pard for scanning then clip it on for shooting, or is that annoying to do?

The Original Striker
    The other option for a clipon is the objective end like a hikmicro cheetah. Bit more pricey though and depends on your scopes too
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Have a number of NV scopes and configurations.
    Original Pard NV008 is still working well on my .22lr. Just in the process of selling my Sytong HT-77 which worked well, and had the Laser Range finder built in. Required an external illuminator, so the choice was yours as to what you went with. Found that it did not need external LOP spacers which was a bonus.
    Have a thermal handheld, and now a thermal scope too (replacing the Sytong HT-77).
    Personally I prefer the IR940nm illuminators, as they are not detectable by prey unlike the IR850nm. I found the rabbits could see, and reacted to the IR850nm illuminator after they had been shot up a lot. Not so with the IR940nm illuminator.
    The HT-77 can be used hand held, and worked well. But thermal is far superior in that space.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Original Pard NV008 is still working well on my .22lr. Just in the process of selling my Sytong HT-77 which worked well, and had the Laser Range finder built in. Required an external illuminator, so the choice was yours as to what you went with. Found that it did not need external LOP spacers which was a bonus.
    Have a thermal handheld, and now a thermal scope too (replacing the Sytong HT-77).
    Personally I prefer the IR940nm illuminators, as they are not detectable by prey unlike the IR850nm. I found the rabbits could see, and reacted to the IR850nm illuminator after they had been shot up a lot. Not so with the IR940nm illuminator.
    The HT-77 can be used hand held, and worked well. But thermal is far superior in that space.
    Yes to 940, not so great the 850. I have a thermal mono but find you need to use low light otherwise your eyes get destroyed, I use white heat now.great bit of gear, like how close you get sneak up on sambar before they spot you.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I didn't realize the HT77 needed an extra illuminator, good to know!

Is there an advantage to having m external illuminator or would going for a clip on with built in be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I didn't realize the HT77 needed an extra illuminator, good to know!

Is there an advantage to having m external illuminator or would going for a clip on with built in be better?
    Only the HT77 LRF model needs external illuminator.
    We will be running a sale on the HT88 at Sika show - if the shipment lands in time.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Only the HT77 LRF model needs external illuminator.
    We will be running a sale on the HT88 at Sika show - if the shipment lands in time.
    What's the difference between the 66, 77, and 88?
    Just improvement performance?

Do most guys find they don't need a butt spacer?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    What's the difference between the 66, 77, and 88?
    Just improvement performance?

Do most guys find they don't need a butt spacer?
    I brought a high mounted mounts that were leaning forward(if that makes sense to you), one to clear the bolt and the other to have the scope forward to not worry about head position.

TLB
    The newer model NV/day scopes like the pard and sytong are awesome with the ballistics and rangefinder.
    However, if you aren't going with one of those models then the clip on units are very handy. You can hunt until dark with a normal scope then clip on your NV and away you go. I have shot a lot of animals with clip ons. Thousands.

Reason was prior to the newer units with ballistics etc you could reliably switch the the clip on very quickly between several rifles. And for a lot of what I was doing, with the clip on you have the ability to dial and shoot out to 600 yards plus at night.

I have never bothered with spacers for any unit, most I have done is put on a slip on recoil pad, which is not very often.

As far as illuminators go, 850 is not completely invisible but has far more range and clarity than the 940 which is invisible. An external IR is handy for extended ranges.

I have not used the sytong NV scope with ballistics so can't comment on the IR range but have had a go with the pard DS35 and you can shoot a long way at night without an external IR. The clarity is better than a clip on too.

Out of the 6 sytong NV and thermal units the guys currently have none have crapped out. 3 out of the 5 pards have had issues.
    Beetroot and Marty Henry like this.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time contracting for the same out fit as you, don’t most of the boys use pulsar? Thought I was the only one using pard