Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1

Thread: Collecting and the Lebel Model 1886 rifle

Collecting and the Lebel Model 1886 rifle

I have tried to internally deny the fact I'm a collector for a while... more a shooter that likes interesting rifles.
    However, the reality is my interest lies in the the development of technology in firearms overtime and I wish to collect certain firearms to have a representative spectrum of this development. I also like all the different types of actions used in history.
    I'm not a purist though, I'm happy with reproductions as I intend to shoot things not admire "patina". Which from my experience seems to be rust soaked in oil and is a lack of maintenance.

One rifle I'm really interested in is the Lebel Model 1886. The first military firearm to use smokeless powder. But I've never seen one in New Zealand and I don't seem to be able to find a trace of them in the auction catalogues I've managed to review. My question is are there any here and if you've got one share some pictures?

Yes I have seen a couple here. So they do exist but they are a rare thing.

In 30 years of collecting I think I've seen about five come up for sale and held only one in my hands. They don't come up often....

As the majority of M1886/93s were made by 1901, most are made on receivers manufactured before 1899, and can be exported out of the US without an Export Permit (an NZ Import Permit is still required, of course).
    In longrange riflery, trajectory is the pure science part. Gravity is a constant for our purposes.
    Wind is in the art department.
    Light is pure fucking voodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by fernleaf View Post
    In 30 years of collecting I think I've seen about five come up for sale and held only one in my hands. They don't come up often....

As the majority of M1886/93s were made by 1901, most are made on receivers manufactured before 1899, and can be exported out of the US without an Export Permit (an NZ Import Permit is still required, of course).
    Interesting, I know they aren't as rare in the US and thought about looking into importing one. Might be worth thinking about a bit more seriously.

No matter how rare they are there is one in NZ waiting for you to find it and convince its current owner that your need is greater.

There is no firearm that is not in NZ, if you look hard enough you will find it
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter