Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Compact Lightweight scopes

You can't have everything. Want the best glass and durability? There's a weight penalty.

If you really NEED lightweight, chances are you're doing some strenuous stalking where every ounce counts. But in that situation, you'll be trying to get as close to animals as possible anyway, where the extra light gathering of a euro scope isn't needed.

Leupold vx3i rules the roost when your priorities are lightweight, compact, and 'good enough glass'. I'd take them over the light(er) weight euro options (I.e swaro z3, Zeiss conquest, kahles helia) which are neither here nor there, and overpriced for what you get. If I'm after the best glass & build quality, I'll swallow the weight pill and go straight for the top tier euro scopes - Swaro Z6/Z8, Zeiss Diavari/V8, Schmidt Bender Zenith/Exos/Polar T96.

I think the leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 and 2.5-8x36 are the best ultra-light rifle scopes on the market. I've used them both and love them - with the 1.5-5x20 being slightly more favoured due to its shorter length, and recessed objective lens (limits glare from sun, and moisture/debris collecting on the lens when pushing through bush & scrub).

For the price of an entry level, 'lightweight' euro scope, you could buy two leupold vx3's and have them in quick detach mounts. Have one on your rifle and the other in your pack. If you arse over and break one in the field (highly unlikely), just switch it out for the other one. Finish your hunt, then utilize Leupolds excellent warranty to get the broken one fixed.

^^ That strategy would make the requirement for a big, heavy, 'durable' scope redundant.
    Last edited by Frodo; 20-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Puffin and 308mate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    You can't have everything. Want the best glass and durability? There's a weight penalty.

If you really NEED lightweight, chances are you're doing some strenuous stalking where every ounce counts. But in that situation, you'll be trying to get as close to animals as possible anyway, where the extra light gathering of a euro scope isn't needed.

Leupold vx3i rules the roost when your priorities are lightweight, compact, and 'good enough glass'. I'd take them over the light(er) weight euro options (I.e swaro z3, Zeiss conquest, kahles helia) which are neither here nor there, and overpriced for what you get. If I'm after the best glass & build quality, I'll swallow the weight pill and go straight for the top tier euro scopes - Swaro Z6/Z8, Zeiss Diavari/V8, Schmidt Bender Zenith/Exos/Polar T96.

I think the leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 and 2.5-8x36 are the best ultra-light rifle scopes on the market. I've used them both and love them - with the 1.5-5x20 being slightly more favoured due to its shorter length, and recessed objective lens (limits glare from sun, and moisture/debris collecting on the lens when pushing through bush & scrub).

For the price of an entry level, 'lightweight' euro scope, you could buy two leupold vx3's and have them in quick detach mounts. Have one on your rifle and the other in your pack. If you arse over and break one in the field (highly unlikely), just switch it out for the other one. Finish your hunt, then utilize Leupolds excellent warranty to get the broken one fixed.
    Agreed. I have a VX6 1-6 on my Marlin lever, it's about 100grams more than the vx3i 1.5-5x20 - weird but you do notice it when a scope jumps from 250 ~ to 350~ grams.

In saying that I wanted a scope with a true 1 power setting as for me I find it means I can keep both eyes open if I need to which for me it is worth it even with the extra weight.

Like you say you can't have everything got to compromise somewhere.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Agreed. I have a VX6 1-6 on my Marlin lever, it's about 100grams more than the vx3i 1.5-5x20 - weird but you do notice it when a scope jumps from 250 ~ to 350~ grams.

In saying that I wanted a scope with a true 1 power setting as for me I find it means I can keep both eyes open if I need to which for me it is worth it even with the extra weight.

Like you say you can't have everything got to compromise somewhere.
    I've always wanted to try a 1-6 VX6. You don't see too many of them for sale. I reckon they'd be a sweet middle ground between glass quality and weight. Still a lot lighter than the euro straight tube scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I've always wanted to try a 1-6 VX6. You don't see too many of them for sale. I reckon they'd be a sweet middle ground between glass quality and weight. Still a lot lighter than the euro straight tube scopes.
    Yeah I got mine for a grand on trademe, it was like new never mounted.

It's the older 2016 model I think, non HD model and it's just a duplex with no Illuminated dot. Still it is CDS and once I work out the best load for the 3030 I'll get a turret made up and it should be a sweet setup. The glass is nice.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Yeah I got mine for a grand on trademe, it was like new never mounted.

It's the older 2016 model I think, non HD model and it's just a duplex with no Illuminated dot. Still it is CDS and once I work out the best load for the 3030 I'll get a turret made up and it should be a sweet setup. The glass is nice.
    That's a bloody steal man
    Frodo and 308mate like this.

i have a vixen 3-12x40 1inch good glass,,a shade over 12oz and under 12 inch,,cost me 420 bucks to door

Quote Originally Posted by B.pope View Post
    @tikka, you interested in swap for nightforce nsx 3.6-15x50. Mil/mil illuminated and zero stop. I’m after a compact version
    Sorry this is my favorite scope and a bigger scope would be over kill, I did have a nxs 3.5-15x56 on it while I was waiting for the compact to get into the country.

I sold the nxs 3.5-15 and a nxs 8-32x56 for a ATACR 4-16x42 F1 for my long range rig. Theres a big difference in size and weight with those scopes compared the nxs compacts.