Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Crappy Tikka T3 barrels??

Quick, sell it for $5500 on Trade Me.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, GWH and 2 others like this.

An interesting topic this, that I thought deserved some indepth research.
    I decided to try a wrapped barrel against a std barrel in the same action to see if their was a difference in performance
    Not having access to carbon fibre, I went to the first aid kit and obtained a new unused crepe bandage. The reasoning being they are specifically designed for wrapping round things to provide strength and support same as carbon fibre is claimed to do. Also being made of cotton it contains carbon so its practically identical.
    This was applied to the barrel as an overlapping wrap just as I was shown in a first aid course, I had to also wrap the stock to get to the breech, and passed the last of the bandage round the scope for good measure.
    Several shots were fired at a target, the only problem encountered was the bandage on the scope partly obscured the lens after the second shot. Obviously if this proved sucessful the scope would be left clear.
    The wrapping was then carefully removed and re rolled in readiness for future use, and another series of rounds fired at the same target. Suprisingly these printed in exactly the same area as the first ones.
    The conclusion I have drawn from this brief experiment is that with the test rifle (Zastava m85 ) barrel wrapping offers no improvement in accuracy, however that may not be the case with all rifles.
    I still have the bandage handy and if anyone would like to see if a wrapped barrel makes a difference to their rifle feel free to contact me for details on price and turn around times.
    The photo shots the trial rifle with its fully wrapped barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    An interesting topic this, that I thought deserved some indepth research.
    I decided to try a wrapped barrel against a std barrel in the same action to see if their was a difference in performance
    Not having access to carbon fibre, I went to the first aid kit and obtained a new unused crepe bandage. The reasoning being they are specifically designed for wrapping round things to provide strength and support same as carbon fibre is claimed to do. Also being made of cotton it contains carbon so its practically identical.
    This was applied to the barrel as an overlapping wrap just as I was shown in a first aid course, I had to also wrap the stock to get to the breech, and passed the last of the bandage round the scope for good measure.
    Several shots were fired at a target, the only problem encountered was the bandage on the scope partly obscured the lens after the second shot. Obviously if this proved sucessful the scope would be left clear.
    The wrapping was then carefully removed and re rolled in readiness for future use, and another series of rounds fired at the same target. Suprisingly these printed in exactly the same area as the first ones.
    The conclusion I have drawn from this brief experiment is that with the test rifle (Zastava m85 ) barrel wrapping offers no improvement in accuracy, however that may not be the case with all rifles.
    I still have the bandage handy and if anyone would like to see if a wrapped barrel makes a difference to their rifle feel free to contact me for details on price and turn around times.
    The photo shots the trial rifle with its fully wrapped barrel.
    I think the reason you've seen no accuracy improvement is because of the colour of your wrap. If you could just somehow make it appear as carbon fiber then surely you'd see an improvement! Maybe see if mitre 10 has a spray bomb in carbon fiber pattern?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Marty Henry and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    These tikka barrels must be pretty average eh, as I see so many people getting around with T3's with replacement carbon wrapped barrels on them.

I just shot one of my T3's today to see if my factory barrel might need replacing.

Can you guys please look at my targets below and advise if you think i also need to replace the crappy factory barrel.

Here's 3 shots on the 100 yard paper target, and 2 shots on steel at 400 yards.

Is this any good? or do you think it's buggered and I should call Mr Hardy for a fancy carbon wrapped one?

Nah it's buggered. Better order another one. No way it should put those rounds so close together...

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Maybe check the bedding first with a 5 shot group like that.
    Slight correction...6 shot group GB
    (Actually two different seating depths, but hey, Tikkas are rubbish )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GravelBen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Maybe see if mitre 10 has a spray bomb in carbon fiber pattern?
    If apprentices can be sent to get tartan paint, I'm sure you can get CF pattern in a spray can

my POS tikka 308 bushpig only manages 10 shots into 0.6"...need to bin the bastard and get a shiny carbon one.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    my POS tikka 308 bushpig only manages 10 shots into 0.6"...need to bin the bastard and get a shiny carbon one.
    Shit that is terrible alright, God I feel bloody sorry for ya, you must have a particularly bad one.

superdiver likes this.

Since everyone is showing off.
    Oh this is a 5 shot group from a Hardy barrel @ 100m
    Name:  CDFF7A22-C07C-41D2-912B-5334A6818871.jpeg
Views: 273
Size:  288.6 KB
    25/08IMP likes this.