Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Critique Wanted!

If you want to be having good results at those distances you will need lots of practice, which means lots of shots down range which loops back to Carpe Diem's post #10.
    I know a few people shooting out to 1000-1200m, but they would all have a very long think before trying to shoot an animal at the 600m+ mark.
    veitnamcam, Kiwi Greg, ebf and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    If you want to be having good results at those distances you will need lots of practice, which means lots of shots down range which loops back to Carpe Diem's post #10.
    I know a few people shooting out to 1000-1200m, but they would all have a very long think before trying to shoot an animal at the 600m+ mark.
    +1 and also the question about what you think long range is.

was talking to someone a while ago and said they had bought a 7RM for long range , to which I reply what do you class as long range. his reply was ohh about 350-400m. me *laughs*. this guy upgraded from a 7mm08 which would have done the job just fine!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Yeah I have a cheapish .243 at the moment which would not be half decent over 300m
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

I have a 300wm T3 s/s lite, B&C stock, muzzle break & after market bottom metal with AI mags. Got a Vortex PST on top fixed to a rail, It does what I want, drops stuff from 50 yds to 600 yds but gets bloody hot after half a doz shots.

Overall length of cartridge plays a big part if you stick with the standard Tikka Mags. Changing can get you a couple hundred fps.
    7mmsaum and DanS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I have a 300wm T3 s/s lite, B&C stock, muzzle break & after market bottom metal with AI mags. Got a Vortex PST on top fixed to a rail, It does what I want, drops stuff from 50 yds to 600 yds but gets bloody hot after half a doz shots.

Overall length of cartridge plays a big part if you stick with the standard Tikka Mags. Changing can get you a couple hundred fps.
    Could explain that last bit a bit more for me , sorry , Cheers
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

That means by loading your projectile further as close to rifling as possible, your over all cartridge length will make it to long to fit in mag, but that doesnot matter for long range shooting. You will also be able to put a few more grains of powder in the case.

That is why some guys reload as follow on their set up:
    One load that fit in mag for close distance stuff and one load for for long distance with single shot feed.sometime with to different bullets but that strike on the same vertical axis.

Before dreaming of shooting at animals at long range, practice on steel plates ( or porcelains plates ;-) at different distances. When you can not hit consistently a diner plate on the first shot you kind of have reach your distance limit! That does not neccessaraly mean that your rig is not up to the task but maybe that you need more practice or experience. Good luck, you have started well so fare. If you struggle at some point a bedding on your rifle AND THEN a fine tuning of your load might help to get the best accuracy possible.
    Also depending on how suppressor is fitted it can create tensions on the barrel and make the shots walk pretty quickly on target.
    Barefoot, PERRISCICABA and DanS like this.

My 300wm T3 has a laminated stock, VX3 4.5-14 x 42 and weighs just over 8 lbs ready to go. It is not suppressed or braked and is quite "lively" to shoot and needs some discipline to get the best results.
    It is however nice to carry and I seem to do that a lot up and down big hills.
    I also use the 2 load option (Accubond 0-300m and Speer BTSP >300M). Seems to work for me.
    DanS likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I went through a similar process and ended up ditching the suppressor in preference of a brake for anything magnum. Heat quickly became an issue with the suppressor and balance wasn't ideal. My non magnums are shortened and suppressed magnum is wearing a brake.
    Kiwi Greg and Bryan like this.

+1 for mag length comment. I got mine off a mate who wanted to use 208 Amax loaded too long for the magazine so he eventually bought a Remington R5
    Its actually a way better gun but so is the price !!
    So I have same as you listed nearly but VX3 and Gen 4 Hardy. It loves 168 Amax.
    Its gets a bit heavy later in the day but if you not running with it its OK.
    Taken deer at 450 no problems. We were shooting rabbits at 350 with it. ( Not to eat mind you ha ha )
    Longer than that never really tried.
    PERRISCICABA and DanS like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Friwi has answered your query.

Tikka's have a short mag length so when you come to crank up the speed you have to seat the projectile further out of the case to add more powder hence the now reloaded cartridge doesn't fit into your magazine.

I use 180gr accubonds, they do the business on deer, pigs, donkeys, horses and dogs. When on the pigs and donkeys 2 x 10 shot AI mags in quick succession are the deal, you cant touch the barrel
    DanS likes this.

Fulla
    If you don't extend your mag length, you will probably find its a bitch to single feed also. Well my .223 is.

Shameless plug, but did you see the rifles I've listed lately, proven to 1100y, complete set up with dies and brass, scoped etc ready to go for about half the cost that your set up will cost to make.

Kj
    mucko and DanS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Shameless plug, but did you see the rifles I've listed lately, proven to 1100y, complete set up with dies and brass, scoped etc ready to go for about half the cost that your set up will cost to make.

Kj
    could you tag me in a couple cant seem to find them

Shut up and Shoot
    300 Win Mag comes into its own with the heavy bullets but the tikka has short magazines that are not conducive to heavy bullets being seated out so a bit of a compromise has to be found. plus I prefer a 26 inch barrel. If you are going Manum go Remington, don't worry about the triggers thats all sorted now.
    DanS likes this.