Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By Gerardo
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 3 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By caberslash
  • 2 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By kiwi303
  • 1 Post By Nathanfish

Thread: Custom turrets and sea level heights

Custom turrets and sea level heights

I'm thinking about investing in a custom scope turret. I have all my information sorted except for the elevation above sea level. What would be a good default for bush hunting in the north island from say woodhill through to the central plateau? Im new to this, does it even matter in the the real word ? Bush stalking, not long distance.

You use strelock or a similar app? Have a play with the data inputs and see if it makes much difference. My thoughts would be if you bush hunting it won't matter till your out past 400m but other more educated folks will chime in I'm sure
    Nathanfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    I'm thinking about investing in a custom scope turret. I have all my information sorted except for the elevation above sea level. What would be a good default for bush hunting in the north island from say woodhill through to the central plateau? Im new to this, does it even matter in the the real word ? Bush stalking, not long distance.
    I don't think it'll matter in the bush mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathanfish likes this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

In the tight bush it does not matter, your long shots in central plateau would more likely be at altitude. I have selected 900m on my custom turrets . ....
    Nathanfish likes this.

I have selected a 1000m on my custom turrets as a zero altitude as my long shots would more likely happen at that altitude past the bush line on central plateau.
    Nathanfish likes this.

Sorry , double up as I thought I had lost the screen I was typing onto. You get the drift.

It’s a contradiction in terms - bush stalking does not need custom turrets. If you’re not going to shoot long range, why do you need custom turrets?
    Gibo, Mauser308 and Nathanfish like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    It’s a contradiction in terms - bush stalking does not need custom turrets. If you’re not going to shoot long range, why do you need custom turrets?
    Even then, I thought distance marked turrets were made obsolete by ballistic rangefinders?
    Nathanfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yeah, your'e 100% right. I'm asking for a solution to a first world problem. I have only allowed myself one center fire rifle, I want it to be as useful and as easy to use as possible if I do have to reach out past maximum point blank. Really dont want to do math and count clicks on the fly. Rangefinder and custom dial just seems idiot proof.

If you want the option for longer range in future, then don’t bother with custom turrets. Just get moa or mill, whichever you prefer. Then you just create drop chart for where you intend to hunt
    Nathanfish and caberslash like this.

None taken. I was referring to myself when I said I wanted an idiot proof solution. I've ordered the locally made turret with moa on the bottom layer.Name:  Screenshot_20210607-084339_Chrome.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  296.8 KB

if you run the numbers even with a 1500m altitude change it doesn't significantly effect your bullet out to 500m (about 1 ich). once you start getting past 500m you do need to start considering your environment more.
    for an all around set up you're often not shooting past 500 anyway.
    Nathanfish likes this.

Cheers for that, I've had a quick yarn with the guy from custom scope turrets, he said 700-750 is what they suggest for north island settings. Your right though, I had a play with a ballistic app and for my maximum range there is little effect from altitude.
    kiwi303 likes this.