Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: CZ 455

Quote Originally Posted by MatiriHunter View Post
    It's so cheap it makes me nervous
    No need to be nervous. I bought 3,000 rounds in Wanganui last week for the farms where I shoot. More of this stuff gets used for pest control in NZ than all the other ammunition sold put together.

I use hand loads in my rifle, but I went out with my mate’s very battered Sako .223 last week and smashed goats with Belmont ammo, with very precise shots out to 300m without a hint of a problem. Sometimes we tend to overthink things I reckon!

I’ll be straight up about your choices.

It would be a lie to say that a .22LR is completely ineffective, it’s not. But a .22LR will only cleanly kill small to medium pigs and goats if you (a) head shoot them properly, (b) use the correct ammunition, (c) are stalking in really close.

The minute you make even the slightest fuck up, you’ve got a wounded animal running away very fast, and you stand next to no chance of doing anything about it with a rimfire, because they’re out of range in the blink of an eye. Mistakes with this rimfire round are measured by the half centimetre, like very small margins of error.

So is it a sensible choice? Not in a million years. .22LR is a small game / vermin round, end of story.

This past few weeks I’ve reminded myself that the .223 Remington is incredibly versatile. If I were you, I’d be getting a Howa mini action with the 1:8” twist barrel with a package deal scope, shoot cheap and deadly Belmont softpoints, and get out there and get into it. Your primary requirement is to practice shooting cans and so on at different ranges from different positions - learning your drops is the key.
    mikee, timattalon, Solo and 2 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word