Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CZ 455 - barrel interchange

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    i have a cz455 in 17hmr and then got a 22 barrel. the cz system is good for 2 things:

1. you can try out other calibres cheaply, if u never had the chance to before.
    2. you can buy a high end barrel and just drop in without having to go to a gun smith.

frequent barrel change is a nice but impractical idea. the need to redial the scope kills it.

the rifle design may be good enough so that the samw barrell goes back to the same place within a couple moa, but you simply will not remember where the dial was or your rimfire scope may not be very repeatable. all in all, if u use 2 carlibres frequently enough, buy another gun.

lastly i want to say that 22lr and 17hmr are all you really need. 22 wm and 17hm2 are not necessery for anything (not that there is anything wrong with them)

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I've had a couple of inter-changeable barrel rifles before, most notably a Valmet 412 (shotgun action based) that had a set of 222/12ga barrels, the 222 was wonderfully accurate. I've also got a switch barrel Omark, to utilise a very very good target stock for different calibres. So I know what is involved in changing barrels in a general sense, but have never tried the CZ "system".

The CZ is to be a very short integrally suppressed .22 shooting only subs for hunting - but the best price I could get on a CZ455 was in a 17 HMR - since it appealed to try a .17 its now in the safe, @Petre gave me a very good deal. I've a .22 barrel arranged with a cone breech and semi-match chamber for starters, but if that doesn't give me the accuracy and function I want - with an inter-changeable barrel I can move on.

The CZ varmint stock is also going to get a compulsory "diet", its my habit to carry my hunting rifle "in hand" and I like them slim through the balance point (which is one reason I didn't go down the 10/22 path, due to the wider mag it hard to get them as slim as I like). One thing that won't need done is the trigger, its easily the best .22 trigger I've had or used, including some "Annies".
    Nice.

The .17HMR is a wizard on rabbits in light air conditions. You will love it.
    Short barrel suppressed .22LR is an excellent way to go. I was fortunate enough to get a NZ made Bunny Buster barrel for my 10/22 before they closed shop - its a Trueflite match chamber 10" barrel with over barrel carbon fiber sleeve integral suppressor. Shoots subs more accurately than supers (subs approx 60-70% of the group size of supers). That said, the 10/22 only really comes out for night shooting possums due to the .17HMR so grouping is not so much of an issue.