Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: CZ 455 Trigger job

CZ 455 Trigger job

I have a CZ 455 in 17 HMR as my workhorse longer range varmint rifle.
    It's proved to be a super reliable and moderately accurate gun, not up to my Marlin but good enough generally to get the job done.
    I feel there's plenty more potential in the rifle as a platform but since new the one thing I don't like is the trigger. It's heavy and has way to much gritty creep to it .
    Just wondering if anyone has given theirs a trigger job and what the results were.
    I can / will probably take it to a gunsmith if I don't feel I have the confidence to mess about and improve it both in terms of lightness , crispness and of course safety.

I like the gun but damn I miss my Marlin..

MB
    Did my CZ452 with a YoDave kit. It was fairly straightforward. I did heaps of "bump" tests, but had a discharge once when I took the safety off. Scared the shit out of me. Changed up to the next spring and all good since then which was around 5 years ago.
    viper likes this.

+1 for the YoDave kit. Massive difference in pull weight in my CZ.
    viper likes this.

+1 YoDave kit.
    Have done 2 for a mate and 1 for myself.
    Didn't do anything for crispness which was pretty good already.
    IIRC the spring I used halved the weight and was still very safe.

If you're not confident a gunsmith would be a better option. He would probably do a spring change and maybe a bit of polishing as well.
    viper likes this.

Have both my Bruno’s done with adjustable sears, very light triggers, very accurate rifles.
    viper likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

+1 Yodave kit. Really easy to do. There are lots of how to vids on the internet using the Yodave kit.
    viper likes this.

I did a number of 455 triggers, one with a replacement sear and others with a lighter spring (you can also trim an original spring slightly but best have a spare) and a light polish/stone. Ended up crisp and under 1 lb, safe to all the provocative tests. Replacement sear didn’t add anything but of course there’s subtle variations. I remember the tiny ball bearing is a challenge!
    viper likes this.

Well the 455 trigger was pissing me off so much I thought about trading it in on a Marlin or Tikka TX1 . Marlin NZ importer has changed I got told and getting a new one is very difficult.
    So wandered into H & F to fondle the Tikka and got chatting , I mentioned the crap CZ trigger and turns out they had a used Timmey trigger sitting there and got given it to try.
    Straight home, pulled the CZ down which was more involved than just trimming the spring like I did last time. Lots of You Tube watching and it looked easy enough.... there is a funny little ball bearing in there....more on that later.
    Installed the Timmey, shit it's horrible, did all the adjustments.. heavy and not an improvement at all , maybe worse.
    Ok time to get serious, the factory triggers apart so stoned and polished the faces . The re-install was a nightmare , that little ball bearing slots into an area that is very fiddly, 15 minutes to pull down , 2.5 hrs to reassemble ... I am not mechanically minded.
    Trimmed another half coil off the spring while I was in there.
    Assembled , cocked and squeezed the trigger ..... awesome , light , crisp, no creep and a joy to use. I did all the bump and bang tests and it's rock solid.
    Maybe I can learn to like my CZ after all......maybe, those Tikka's do look good.
    Another interesting comment by the guy in the shop , he expects 17hmr ammo to go $45 + , the price of 22 mag ammo is staying pretty much the same , he suggested if I do trade then a 22 mag might be worth a look.
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Yeah just buy the yo dave kit
    Don’t know what the price is with the new shipment but will be under $40 anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Yeah just buy the yo dave kit
    Don’t know what the price is with the new shipment but will be under $40 anyway
    This ^

Plus you get 4 shims and 4 new springs and a replacement 3/32 roll pin.
    I ended up doing 2 rifles with 1 kit.

Come on! You know the rules. Bring it over and I'll do it while you wait.
    Tentman, viper, MB and 2 others like this.

@ gundoc, yeah I know mate but you have been so generous and kind with your knowledge and time.
    If I had totally wrecked it I would have contacted you.
    Time for a catch up and a cuppa though, I will be in touch.

Off topic I know but has anyone done a trigger job on a CZ 511 before?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Off topic I know but has anyone done a trigger job on a CZ 511 before?
    Yes, I have done a few. They are a difficult job and require some skills and good stones. 3 pounds is about as good as you can get them with reliability, and they have to be worked to that by many disassemblies and reassemblies. Well made of good materials but a crap design.

How do ya get your hands on a couple of yodave kits?