Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Got-ya
  • 1 Post By Dago
  • 1 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By Slug

Thread: CZ 457 Carbine 7.62x39 Toy or Bushgun?

Dago

CZ 457 Carbine 7.62x39 Toy or Bushgun?

A thing of beauty, no question, but is this a range queen or a useful tool in thick bush?

Using open sights, the CZ can crank out five fast aimed shots as well as any 30/30 lever action.

I would love to have one in my collection but a little concerned it may not get out to play as often as this quality rifle deserves.

Name:  CZ Carbine 7.62x39.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  165.2 KB

northdude
    Looks like it would do the job. Id be to rough with something that nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    A thing of beauty, no question, but is this a range queen or a useful tool in thick bush?

Using open sights, the CZ can crank out five fast aimed shots as well as any 30/30 lever action.

I would love to have one in my collection but a little concerned it may not get out to play as often as this quality rifle deserves.

Attachment 159841
    Very valid bush gun, But as fast as a lever gun? No for 90% of people with equivalent practise with both they will reload faster and stay on target better with a lever.
    Barefoot likes this.

Only bolt action I've used that was quicker than my levers was a Blaser.
    That CZ would be nice in the bush if you aren't worried about scratching it.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Nice looking rifle. The did do a synthetic stock version that might put up with bush work.

If you wanted something like this for just the bush though a ruger or howa with a red dot would do the job at half the price and easy to put a suppressor on.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Very valid bush gun, But as fast as a lever gun? No for 90% of people with equivalent practise with both they will reload faster and stay on target better with a lever.
    Agreed. Never can be as fast no matter what.

Watched a Yank on Youtube the other night testing exactly that rifle. I think it was mostly down to the operator but it was painfully slow and clunky to reload.
    I have a 223 version. Maybe mine has smoothed with time and maybe the 223 feeds better than the 39 but mine is much faster and not clunky as the YouTube demo, but would never match a good lever gun.

Any one had any experience comparing it to a Howa? Just curious but budget will eventually allow me to get a better 762x39. The JW's barrel is too thin.

It would be interesting to know which out of the 7.62x39 rifles have a true 7.62x39 bore and which ones have a .308 bore.

I understand the European rifles often have the correct bore size but I may be wrong.
    Not a big deal if you reload but you might not get the accuracy your expectating with factory ammo.

I had one and sold it for bieng too nice(for me)to scratch up
    They tend to poke you in the back with their mags when you sling them
    Cool little guns but not really what I'd choose for rough work especially at their price new

I had one and sold it for bieng too nice(for me)to scratch up
    They tend to poke you in the back with their mags when you sling them
    Cool little guns but not really what I'd choose for rough work especially at their price new

Dago
    @Got-ya. Point well taken. This may well be to my relative lack of practice with levers. I compared rate of accurate fire with an old Winchester (needed a good lube) and a newer Marlin.
    Got-ya likes this.

I'd be scared of ruining that pretty wood.
    As others have said, Mini Howa in 7.62x39 with a red dot.
    Cordite likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Nice looking expensive timber guns takes the focus away from bush stalking as you will be concentrating on scratch/dent avoidance control right in front of you rather than on what's lurking a little bit further out, well that's what I have done.
    Dago likes this.

I've got the howa mini in 7.62, use it as a beater for plinking mostly running left over mil surplus rounds form before the semi auto ban. Bought it with the cindy bucks from my SKS
    Put an entire crate through it, in the stainless /synthetic stock it takes it well, as good as new really.
    Had it shooting 1.5" groups at 100m with surplus yugo M67 ammo at the range last night.
    Also run .310 SST 123gn and or .308 SST 125gn handloads. Both perform as a handload should under an inch at 100m
    About a year ago I ran into someone at the same range with the CZ and was able to have a few shots,
    Obviously the build quality of the CZ was great, the set trigger was also a nice feature, but in 7.62 its not really for target shooting anyway.
    If its just a bush gun your after, the howa is the value for money option.

I assume you were talking about the CZ527 not the CZ457 which is a rimfire rifle.