Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By scotty
  • 1 Post By Shamus_
  • 3 Post By Tentman
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: CZ Alpha 600 vid

CZ Alpha 600 vid

I like the look of these (.223, 1/7 twist for me)
    I didn't understand a word so I turned the sound off.

But this shows the model off vey well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4zA1Gcbzo
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

i had a quick look at the 600 at the sika show last year , the push button safety on the tang didnt instil me with confidence but CZ wouldnt do it unless it good i guess ...... nice looking rifles tho
    Tahr likes this.

@Tentman what do you think of them?
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

@Tahr you can turn on auto-generated translated subtitles on Youtube videos - they aren't perfect and sometimes complete gibberish but better than nothing

• Click on the settings cog and choose subtitles -> German (auto-generated)
    • Click on the settings cog again and choose subtitles -> Auto-translate and pick your language
    Tahr likes this.

Mines a keeper, it's my goto 223 and I can't see it being replaced with anything else anytime soon. For years I lusted after a Sako 75 or 85 in 223 but the CZ 600 has cured me of that!

But it's not really anything like a Sako either, even though it has some similarities - very much it's own beast!

In common with the Sako - a moderately heavy barrel in a fast twist (1:7) but as it comes from the factory, too long, mine got chopped to 500mm. A top loading double stack removable magazine, this for me is key for pest destruction, fire one round, squeeze in another whilst remaining "ready". Fire 5 and replace the clip, ready for another 5! Trigger is as near as dammit Sako quality in its break, 600gms in its low setting.

Diffrences now . . . . It's thermal ready without any messing about with rails, the rail is integral, it works! The safety is like nothing else but works. Mine was a bit fussy with ammo for a start but has settled down and shoots minute of wallaby to 300m with at least two different factory loads, I'd say it averages about 0.8-1.2 moa with factory, and a bit over 0.5moa with handloads, all 55s, I haven't yet got it going with heavies, and it did it shoot my 69gn handloads any better than factory so since I had 300 rounds of cheap Belmont stuff I took the hint. The stock is OK, no better or worse than any of the Sakos, Tikka and dozens of other Tupperware offerings.

Everyone will piss and moan about the alloy receiver, but cripes, AR's have always had alloy recievers and they didn't wear out very fast as I recall, and the integral rail is great.

So how does it go on the hill. Well we went wallaby shooting at Easter, two old blokes and three young guys. I was in charge of supplying 223s for the young team, they went off with the CZ, a TC contender single shot and a very old remmy 700, along with just over 100 rounds of Belmont 223. After 3 days of day and night shooting I got the rifles back, about 5-8 rounds of ammo and a lot of young fella stories about this shot and that shot.

They loved the CZ600, they were a bit worried about the hammering the "nice" (blued wood stock) remmy was getting on the SxS so it got left behind after two missions. I was a LOT worried about the CZ bouncing round on top of and in ( and probably tossed out at least once) of the SxS but it was still zeroed when I checked it yesterday. Did I say they loved the CZ, yup it was the star of the trip, they reckoned they'd shot 70+ wallabies (and one red stag) mostly with the CZ.
    Tahr, Steelisreal and Jamesyd like this.

PS - I took my old CZ 527 in 6.8SPC, bowled a few with it out past 250M before and after I broke my foot!

And I meant to add, I recently "worked up" a very nice Sako 75 223 ( bought by a cobber via the forum) so a direct comparison is very much front of mind. I'd say the CZ600 is 7/8's as good as the Sako for 1/2 the $$!
    Last edited by Tentman; 24-04-2023 at 09:37 PM.
    Tahr and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    PS - I took my old CZ 527 in 6.8SPC, bowled a few with it out past 250M before and after I broke my foot!

And I meant to add, I recently "worked up" a very nice Sako 75 223 ( bought by a cobber via the forum) so a direct comparison is very much front of mind. I'd say the CZ600 is 7/8's as good as the Sako for 1/2 the $$!
    I messaged the agent a few days ago to see if there are any available. No reply.
    - Rumi

There are two or three of the new cz at h+f hamilton

Couple of things I forgot . ....

Magazine length is 59mm - to me it doesn't matter but really it's a WTF, in a modern twist rate rifle with a wee bit of "spare" action length why not give us a bit of room to play with seated out heavies!

The rifle runs flawlessly, bolt lift is light for a 60 degree action, it's smooth and feeds, extracts and ejects as you would expect. However the amount of ejection is dependant on how much you tweak the bolt and therefore if you are not dead consistent finding spent brass is a challenge, it's spread across a wide arc and the distance varies - a bit weird

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I messaged the agent a few days ago to see if there are any available. No reply.
    Gun supplies in Rotorua show as having one in stock on their website.

Chris Parkin did a good review on them a while ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULM4NmFbwbc&t=547s
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    It’s a bugger that they were recalled and the barrels glued into the actions as they were set up as switch barrels on release. Somehow someone in the USA managed an out of battery firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several stories about the out of battery firing but the one that seems most likely is the one that happened in CIP (European proof) testing. Lots of things seem to get made up.

Including that the barrels are glued in. Complete rubbish. Mine has been to bits to be shortened and rethreaded and most definitely not glued in. There is low grade thread locker on the screws that secure the barrel, that is all, the screws broke loose without heat or difficulty.
    Shamus_ likes this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    There are several stories about the out of battery firing but the one that seems most likely is the one that happened in CIP (European proof) testing. Lots of things seem to get made up.

Including that the barrels are glued in. Complete rubbish. Mine has been to bits to be shortened and rethreaded and most definitely not glued in. There is low grade thread locker on the screws that secure the barrel, that is all, the screws broke loose without heat or difficulty.
    That’s good to know it was easy to get apart. Are the barrel’s advertised as available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk