Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 3 Post By Ftx325
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By Shearer

Thread: Difference in VX3 models

Difference in VX3 models

I've got a 3.5-10x40 VX III duplex and just wondering how it stacks up against the newer vx3, vx3i and vx3HD? One advantage I can see of upgrading will be the custom dial or swapping for a ballistic reticle but how much better is the glass on these newer models?

I don't know if the glass is better between the vx3i and the vx3hd (some say it is) personally I find the 3.5-10 is probably the best of vx3 range imo as the bigger mag vx3's tend to not be great in low light.
    The ZL turrets on the newer HD model are worth the extra as well imo very good set up if you are dialing and just a good mid range scope.
    Cant beat Leupold warranty either
    #DANNYCENT

Ah true good point on low light. Going to 4.5-14 was something I was considering but keen to keep low light clarity. I might need to test how good my vxiii is in low light against something more modern before going further.

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbury View Post
    Ah true good point on low light. Going to 4.5-14 was something I was considering but keen to keep low light clarity. I might need to test how good my vxiii is in low light against something more modern before going further.
    I know 2 guys that had the 4.5-14 and both struggled with the eye relief or lack of it.
    So check that out before buying

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I know 2 guys that had the 4.5-14 and both struggled with the eye relief or lack of it.

The 3.5-10 is far more forgiving in eye relief too
    BSA270 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

The eyebox I think moves considerably depending on magnification on the 4.5-14 vx3i which gets frustrating.
    We replaced with 3.5 -10 3hd and find it much more user friendly and clearer.
    MB, BSA270 and dannyb like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

The 4.5-14x in the 1inch tube is short or critical on eye relief and a dark tube to look through. Nothing like the 3.5-10x40 in my opinion. The same model in 30mm with SF maybe a better scope?

I don’t see much difference between the Xiii series and the VX . Not tried the HD model. Images in the first two models do appear not as bright or light as compared to the same powers and obj in a z3 swaro.
    7mmwsm likes this.

I hunted with a vx III 4.5x14 for 15 years and never had no problem, if its that dark to try and shoot a animal you shouldn't be shooting it. Only reason i sold it i went to a vx5
    The other reason 4.5 might to to much if you are hunting the bush all the time.

Gkp
    I just got the new 3.5 to 10 with the 30mm tube and fire dot.
    So far I like it. Have shot 7 animals from 40 yards to 400.
    The red dot really does help to draw your eye onto target a lot faster.
    Have just ordered the cds. I prefer this turret over the swaros and that was the deal breaker for me.
    The only downside that the swaro would be better for is that the vx3 has quite a heavy reticle which I think would only be a big deal if your focus was shooting paper and wanting to print tight groups.
    All up I'm happy with it
    Shearer likes this.

MB

Same for me. It was terrible. You probably won't notice by just holding it to your eye in the shop. Hunting with it is a different matter.
    dannyb likes this.

I didn't find the eye relief to be too much of a problem on mine but the FOV at lowest power wasn't flash.
    I have a VX3 HD with firedot on my .223 and can't fault it.
    BSA270, dannyb and Gkp like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like there's a few things for me to consider

Ive got a VX 3i in 4.5-14 w 30mm tube and side focus.
    This model had a justly short reign as their flagship.
    Im still happy with it as it is a deliberate compromise to get a light scope and low profile to the bore line.
    It is well worth having the zero lock as mine doesnt and the clucks are soft and too easy to move so its often a few out after carrying. The VX5 seemed ti be the same so i think it might be a feature of the design with small diameter turrets that they just cant engineer out .
    Image brightness is Ok and still better than the naked eye which is good enough. It dials very tightly and is rugged and waterproof.
    Two very good options which I paid hundreds for are a heavy duplex reticle that makes low light shooting easier ( but I can still shoot subMoa on the range more groups than not) and
    Mil (cm/100m) clicks.
    I would not recommend this particular model VX3 if you see one second hand.
    But its a good scope for the specifications I wanted and I would have paid more if it had cost more.