Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Disguising a safe, any ideas?

Albino American bulldog?

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Dogo Argentino
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Nice but I bet it's not cheap, or made / able to be imported into nz

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    While those are very cool they are not actually locked as such and Id say pretty easy to break into.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    While those are very cool they are not actually locked as such and Id say pretty easy to break into.
    And if you lose a firearm having stored it in one, you are in a world of shit. Stupid thing is, it's probably way better than an eyebolt in a rafter or a chain around a joist...
    Jexla likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Guns to protect, babies to be eaten... Multi purpose

Dogs get poisoned all the time.Two of ours were,luckily they just never got to the other 6.
    And if they find reloading gear or suspect there is a firearms safe in the house they will keep looking till they find it. Safes hidden behind cabinets/mirrors are not exactly unknown these days.In the city making noise might be an issue but out here rurally if no one is home they could make all the noise they wanted to.

Over the past 2 years alone we have had 2 quads nicked at different times,hundreds of litres of diesel gone,chainsaws,wet weather gear,boat engine and a tandem trailer loaded up with our firewood, but im determined they will not get my hunting gear.We now have a decoy diesel tank full of water for thieves to help themselves,so why not a decoy safe as well for them to find and some old gear just might satisfy them.

Often thought, if I get into reloading, to have some handy squib loads for them to find as well to bugger anything they fire them in.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yeah big problem when one of your kids or kids mate at school that he blabbed to wants to have a play.
    Jexla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Dogs get poisoned all the time.Two of ours were,luckily they just never got to the other 6.
    And if they find reloading gear or suspect there is a firearms safe in the house they will keep looking till they find it. Safes hidden behind cabinets/mirrors are not exactly unknown these days.In the city making noise might be an issue but out here rurally if no one is home they could make all the noise they wanted to.

Over the past 2 years alone we have had 2 quads nicked at different times,hundreds of litres of diesel gone,chainsaws,wet weather gear,boat engine and a tandem trailer loaded up with our firewood, but im determined they will not get my hunting gear.We now have a decoy diesel tank full of water for thieves to help themselves,so why not a decoy safe as well for them to find and some old gear just might satisfy them.

Often thought, if I get into reloading, to have some handy squib loads for them to find as well to bugger anything they fire them in.
    Reason I mentioned that dog was one of the farmers near us in Sth America had one, it was chained to its kennel behind the house and they were robbed, the guys that did it knew the dog was there and thought they could throw it some food with poison in it (think it was just sleeping pills, enough to kill a dog though) and they thought since the dog was chained up they could get away with it anyhow, what they didnt know was that even though the dog wasnt acting agressively, he was pissed off they were there, and wouldnt have a bar of any of the food they threw to it.
    They entered the house anyway, the dog managed to pull its kennel clean off the warratahs it was wired to and dragged it around the front of the house, went straight through the glass ranchslider still with its kennel in tow, and if it wasnt for the kennel getting stuck in the doorway I think at least one of the perpetrators prabably wouldnt have lived to tell the tale, left a pretty grisly looking scene, blood from both the dog and one of the theives all over the place, broken glass everywhere, and the dog had actualy nearly bled out by the time they came home as he had cut open one of his front legs pretty bad on his way through the ranchslider.
    Guarantee every degenerate within a 500 mile radius put that house on their "fuck that shit" list.
    If theres a good chance that someone is going to have a go at robbing me I would find it comforting knowing that they are gonna get their day ruined rather than just tricked by a dummy gunsafe.

Something like this as a base - E cat safe. | Trade Me Chuck it underneath a box of old newspapers and hey presto

And I do like the idea of a dummy gunsafe, especially if it just has a stuffed old air rifle and a bent barreled 303 with no bolt. Oh and and a couple of 140 db sirens on a reed switch, hooked to a motorbike battery, sitting inside the separate ammo compartment up top, so once it goes off they can't get to it. Cost about $10 total from Jaycar
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    Something like this as a base - E cat safe. | Trade Me Chuck it underneath a box of old newspapers and hey presto
    That's a cool concept. Unless it floods.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    That's a cool concept. Unless it floods.

Yeah that wouldn't be ideal. But setting it flush/ slightly recessed in a concrete slab floor, with DPM wrap in ground and even a silicon seal around the door itself should drop your chances there. If you were really keen you could even have it set recessed in a concrete slab floor with tiles and have a tile as a lid over the safe itself

Don't get me wrong.. im all for having Cujo or even an angry bear to deal to thieving mongrels on my property. Remember this is pc nz though ,where the crims are poor little hard done by inocents all misunderstood cos they were smacked once as a kid who have all the rights and play the victim. It would be me who ends up copping it worst.

If you go the decoy safe way, you cant just have crap in there though,im sure the crims realize a flash house with reloading gear means you don't just have a rusty air rifle.and if they find ammo for 223/308/300 win mag they gonna realise its not for the old 303.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind