Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DPMS Gen2 .308 AR

Carbon barrel goes a long way. How's yours running?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Carbon barrel goes a long way. How's yours running?
    Yep going great, but it needs a new barrel, has a ring in the chamber on the shoulder....good times, other than that fantastic, waiting for a replacement barrel.......

As far as lite weight , yes , but I question the reduction of bolt carrier weight , reducung this would in affect reduce the bolt carrier to bolt ratio , and I would think that would in real terms NOT make it as reliable as the std heavier AR10/SR25 bolt carrier , anyway thats just me .

The ONLY 308 AR type rifles that interest me are the HK & LMT and thats it , nothing else .

Last yr & this year have seen guys with the AR10 type rifles , both the versions with SR25 & FAL mags fail to function , usually a failure to extract , and the procedure to clear the rifle , was what they call mortaring ( aka shotgun , clearance drill ) , not something that inspires confidence .
    In short , all I have seen in the main is guys with the 308 ARs , is they are having a lot of trouble with them , and no where near as reliable as a run of the mill 223 Ar15 type rifle .

Later Chris

My LAR 8 functions fine with good mags. That's the caveat. Some FAL mags are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    As far as lite weight , yes , but I question the reduction of bolt carrier weight , reducung this would in affect reduce the bolt carrier to bolt ratio , and I would think that would in real terms NOT make it as reliable as the std heavier AR10/SR25 bolt carrier , anyway thats just me .

The ONLY 308 AR type rifles that interest me are the HK & LMT and thats it , nothing else .

Last yr & this year have seen guys with the AR10 type rifles , both the versions with SR25 & FAL mags fail to function , usually a failure to extract , and the procedure to clear the rifle , was what they call mortaring ( aka shotgun , clearance drill ) , not something that inspires confidence .
    In short , all I have seen in the main is guys with the 308 ARs , is they are having a lot of trouble with them , and no where near as reliable as a run of the mill 223 Ar15 type rifle .

Later Chris
    Out of what sample size are you basing this on?I have had zero issues with mine other than initial reload tweaking and the other i know of in waro has had zero issues as well.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    No issues with mine, with any of the mags I have and a vast variety of ammo

5 rifles over 2 yrs , thats just what I saw , dont kill the messenger .

In all the SLRs ( L1A1 ) I have shoot , never had to hammer the butt into the ground to force the bolt carrier to the rear to clear the rifle .
    You will maybe also note , that of the 308 ARs I would like , the SR25 is not one of them , even the Aussies that had them , went to the HK version .

Later Chris

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Interesting you say yes to LMT and no to SR25 as they are the same in parts supply with only the headspace on individual rifles stopping the complete interchangeability.

If you have a FTE on a AR15 your are mortaring it like a AR10.
    I've had to do it a number of times on my 15s due to tight chambers and tight ammo.
    My 308 has spat out everything it's been fed.. Including 2 rd's of 260 that got mixed up with the 308
    Loaded to Saami spec no probs
    A couple of my 223 dies won't size to Saami specs And create issues. Change of die and like a sewing machine

On a L1 or M1 the chambers are that baggy that they will eat anything and spit it out. Chalk and cheese to what's being discussed