Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: E-Cat Parts

E-Cat Parts

Hey there ,just wondering if ppl on here can put me right legally regarding selling E-Cat parts .. eg Pistol Grips, E-Cat style stocks/magazines etc to a person who does not currently hold their E Endorsement.Do they require said endorsement or can any of these things be bought with a A-Cat legally ?
    I want to cover my ass ,as I have a buyer for some bits in pieces .. but don't want to be breaking the law ,or jeopardise my licence and Endorsement/s

Cheers in advance
    Seano

Where do you sit as far as an ethical standpoint goes?
    The Bloke likes this.

you could sell it to a 5 year old if you wanted to... but then we go back to that ethical standpoint

Legally you are fine, it is the buyer who would be in the wrong if they assemble an E-cat from your parts without the proper paperwork

Having said that, making proof of endorsement a condition of sale has been done to me before and that's a possible way to be extra safe

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    you could sell it to a 5 year old if you wanted to... but then we go back to that ethical standpoint
    A 5 year old would be preferable to some clown you know is going to break the law. Everytime someone does stuff like that and gets caught without proper endorsements it just gives the antis more ammunition to use against firearm users.

In regards to the ethical standpoint.
    Should a tire dealer sell you tires if you will use them to drive at any speed over the legal designated speed for the road you are on?
    They don't seem to care and are not held responsible for a drivers actions. Im sure we have all done more than 50kph in a 50kph zone.

Legally it is the buyer who breaks the law if he fits them to a semi auto A cat rifle.
    northdude likes this.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    In regards to the ethical standpoint.
    Should a tire dealer sell you tires if you will use them to drive at any speed over the legal designated speed for the road you are on?
    They don't seem to care and are not held responsible for a drivers actions. Im sure we have all done more than 50kph in a 50kph zone.

Legally it is the buyer who breaks the law if he fits them to a semi auto A cat rifle.
    There is good faith that the purchaser will most likely be using the tyres for a legal purpose, in regards to E category parts this good faith diminishes exponentially the more parts the OP sells his customer.

My suggestion would be unless you know them really well & they're responsible AND also wanting to get there E in the near future then no, don't do it. No one here in their right mind would of sold E category parts to David Gray.

I know it's very unlikely they will be a nutter... But as mentioned before it's just more ammo for the anti's if "something" goes wrong.
    steven likes this.

DPT
    If you know the guy wants to fit them to an AR15 it wouldn't be wise to sell them unless he has the required license. But all of those parts will fit non restricted firearms, all but the mag will fit the MDT style chassis.

Do FN/AK/AR mags fit many non-semiauto firearms? Than FN sniper rifle for sale on here used FN FAL mags I seem to remember, what about the others?

he may have an airsoft , and want more realistic parts ......
    grunzter likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    If thats the case I doubt the question would have been asked.
    The Bloke likes this.

Also that raises a much more important question - should you be associating with any of those airsoft people?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    steven likes this.

I think there is a specific offence for supplying E cat parts to a person which enables them to commit an offence. At the very least the Police would deem you not fit and proper to hold the licence if you provide parts to a person knowing they don't have the appropriate endorsements. They may not have enough to charge you but there would be certainly enough for them to revoke your licence.

You have to ask or wonder why your mate wants e cat parts if he doesn't have the licence for it. I certainly wouldn't risk my licence for that.
    PERRISCICABA and JRW87 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Do FN/AK/AR mags fit many non-semiauto firearms? Than FN sniper rifle for sale on here used FN FAL mags I seem to remember, what about the others?
    Yep, the Troy pump rifle accepts, AR bolt, AR barrel, AR mags and stocks, flash suppressor etc, Remington 7615 accepts AR mags, Mossberg patrol rifle accepts AR mags, flash suppressor. I have a flash suppressor fitted to a manually operated rifle as a thread protector.

There is no law stopping someone from acquiring parts that on a semi auto would make it E cat. They can be used on many non semi auto rifles and also purchased for a future E cat build. As long as the parts are not fitted to a non E semi auto rifle no offence has occurred.
    However the purchaser must be aware that he may be prosecuted if he fits these parts to a non E semi auto and Police have prosecuted atleast one person for storing a 30 round mag with a non E semi auto (other evidence to support it had been used).
    Thirdguy likes this.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!