Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: Educate me on bushpigs

PS. If you are not aware db scale is not linear.
    Every 3 db increase is double the sound energy of the previous. so 103 db has twice the enery of 100 and 4x the energy of 97.
    But peoples perceived loudness is different to energy. It takes about 10 db for someone to think its twice as loud. so 103 wont seem twice as loud but 110 will. When it actually has over 10x the sound energy.
    veitnamcam and 2post like this.

I think they're ugly.

And while they may be practical and suit the tastes of many; from my somewhat traditionalist perspective, they are a bit of everything and not much of anything.

They're often championed as a 'solution', when there have always been rifles available which were designed from the ground-up with portability in mind.

Why chop up a general purpose rifle which wasn't designed with the express purpose of manoeverability, when there are rifles out there such as lever actions which were specifically designed for that purpose? They're also lighter, trimmer, and you do not have to go to the expense of modifying them and compromising their integrity from a design standpoint.

It may be a kiwi thing - this incessant urge to tinker and modify things. It should be reffered to as the Frankenstine Complex. ;P

But all of this is just my opinion, and I'm glad that people are getting the most out of their bushgrunters.

Last edited by Frodo; 11-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    sneeze, veitnamcam, john m and 3 others like this.

Frodo....do a degree I do agree BUT at the end of the day I do love to hear my Mrs whisper sweet nothings in my ear....the way things were headed I wouldnt be able to hear them any more so we spent the $ and got ALL my centrefired suppressed at once....some of them share a suppressor which saved me $$$$ and when the cans are off and thread protector on they still look beautiful.... bit like a sheilah and overalls really.
    Frodo likes this.

Yeah. I suppose the more time you spend with those ugly abominations, the fonder you become of them.

Good point regarding suppressors.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

Bush pig: Take a perfectly functional good looking rifle, abbreviate the barrel (neuter is a better term) , fit a supressor that will still damage your hearing, then spend a lot of time playing with all sorts of ammo and try but fail to make it function like it did before it was vandalized. Pros: Its fashionable, (though Id call that a con) . Cons: Ugly, loss of performance, ugly, cost, lower resale, and ugly,
    Simple answer? Buy a good set of electronic ear protectors ,peltor sporttac or simmilar. Rifle stays like it was intended, performs like it should and you save a heap of money both now and latter when gun boredom sets in.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

18 inches as an all rounder man. With a dpt on the end it will be the same length it is now but way quieter and less recoil. Will still get good velocity with factory ammo.

Also, don't buy another barrel to do it just get you current barrel shortened. Adding a big level of cost and complexity otherwise.

It took me a while to get into suppressors. Now that I’ve done it I don’t regret it. I don’t believe it’s a fad it has useful applications. It’s not for everybody but it’s not a fad either. Only shoot factory rounds through it and guess what I’ve got no idea how fast they are going cos I don’t really care. If you do your job rifle goes bang, animal drops dead. Pretty sure said animal doesn’t go “shit you only shot me with something doing 2200 FPS and not 2870 FPS ....”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a decision to suit what sort of hunting you do. If you are only hunting thick bush cut it as short as possible, mine is 14inch shooting factory ammo works mint and still shorter than a factory rifle. If you are doing a bit of everything cut a couple inches off and chuck a can on if you wish or just get some earplugs
    FatLabrador likes this.

Gkp
    I have a 308 in both 16 and 18 inch and they both kill stuff just fine.
    My advice would be not to shorten at all and see if you like it the way it is.
    You can always shorten at a later date(a cheap job for a gunsmith to do) but you can't add it back on if you don't like it!
    northdude, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bit like a sheilah, when the protectors are off the cans, they look beautiful.... .
    @mickey Duck there fixed it for ya.
    I'm sure they do
    Micky Duck likes this.

took a bit ,but I see what you meant in the end...yes they do look better without over shoulder boulder holders.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I think they're ugly.

And while they may be practical and suit the tastes of many; from my somewhat traditionalist perspective, they are a bit of everything and not much of anything.

They're often championed as a 'solution', when there have always been rifles available which were designed from the ground-up with portability in mind.

Why chop up a general purpose rifle which wasn't designed with the express purpose of manoeverability, when there are rifles out there such as lever actions which were specifically designed for that purpose? They're also lighter, trimmer, and you do not have to go to the expense of modifying them and compromising their integrity from a design standpoint.

It may be a kiwi thing - this incessant urge to tinker and modify things. It should be reffered to as the Frankenstine Complex. ;P

But all of this is just my opinion, and I'm glad that people are getting the most out of their bushgrunters.

You must be about 40 years older than your birth certificate says

I think there is time and place for everything. I love lever guns and blued/walnut rifles too. Your Mauser sure is nice but not something i would want to be taking where and how i hunt.
    Modern stainless away rifles are prefect for the chop, no character, no history nothing really amazing about them.

Until i get a huge promotion ill be sticking with the couple of rifles i own that are more tools than toys. I have opted for a tool that i dont care when i gets imprinted with memory's of its hunting trips. It sure has plenty of patina to show those hunting trips. Once its reached the end of its life there is always room to rebarrel it, fix the bluing and put it into a nice stock.

Not that i neglect looking after it. Just if i slip on some rocks or push through some gorse i dont have a care in the world.
    Micky Duck and Frodo like this.

It all depends on what your needs are and style of hunting. Most of my hunting is multiple days in thick bush close range goat culling with the dog and get into a few pigs and deer where a super quiet, short compact and lighter weight rifle is needed. Most of my shots are 10m-80m but can still shoot out to 300m. I’m only shooting subs 95% of the time so velocity and barrel length isn’t required. Slinging a bushpig on the shoulders is a dream to carry and not getting snagged on every energy zapping brunch is nice.
    There will be some saying about loosing too much velocity from chopped down barrels but it doesn’t stop you from hunting realistic ranges, if you want to shoot farther get a another rifle.

TikkaT3 300BLK 12” barrel but 18.5” with the suppressor attached and 3.6kg includes capped Nightforce scope,sling,suppressor and suppressor cover, plus 3 subsonic rounds in the magazine.
    Here’s a couple of goats I nailed with the bushpig across a creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    It all depends on what your needs are and style of hunting. Most of my hunting is multiple days in thick bush close range goat culling with the dog and get into a few pigs and deer where a super quiet, short compact and lighter weight rifle is needed. Most of my shots are 10m-80m but can still shoot out to 300m. I’m only shooting subs 95% of the time so velocity and barrel length isn’t required. Slinging a bushpig on the shoulders is a dream to carry and not getting snagged on every energy zapping brunch is nice.
    There will be some saying about loosing too much velocity from chopped down barrels but it doesn’t stop you from hunting realistic ranges, if you want to shoot farther get a another rifle.

TikkaT3 300BLK 12” barrel but 18.5” with the suppressor attached and 3.6kg includes capped Nightforce scope,sling,suppressor and suppressor cover, plus 3 subsonic rounds in the magazine.
    Here’s a couple of goats I nailed with the bushpig across a creeks.
    Very good advice, Great rifle thanks for sharing!