Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Nugget connaisseur
  • 1 Post By 7remmagman
  • 1 Post By kiwi303
  • 3 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By country cuts
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By distant stalker
  • 1 Post By Jt89
  • 1 Post By keengunNic

Thread: element scopes

Big_Les

Smile element scopes

So , i see we now have "element " scopes . Just when i am looking for a new scope for my other rifle . They are not in cheap bracket ( nor outrageously expensive ) But they seem to be reluctant to talk much about the quality of their lens glass.
    What are we thinking about them?
    cheers
    les

Just save for some good stuff, as everyone one else will chime in, but once cry in the wife’s tits once

I have the titian 5-25 on my field shooting rifle.
    IMO for the money it will be hard to beat for its features.
    But i think thats where its compromise is to hit its price point.
    Its definitely not bad glass. at 1000m+ i can notice it.
    Or when comparing it to other higher end options.
    But most my shooting is inside 800m and generally its more than adequate.

Having looked down some other scopes but not heaps. I still think you would have to spend 2k+ to get anything noticeably better for that style of scope.
    dannyb likes this.

Been running a helix on my rem mag for 2ish years goes very well daily good and been used for hunting so hasn't been babied there's one on trademe cheap
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

I feel they are top of their class in terms of value for money.

the titan is a big step up in glass quality from a Helix. I haven't handled a HDLR helix though.

I have a 5-25 titan and rate the glass up there with much more expensive optics inside that 900m bracket and I'm somewhat of a glass snob
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

Isn’t the titan made in china. The nexus and Theos are Japanese made. I wouldn’t send money like that on made in china. Just my opinion. I know that can manufacture really great products. Think that a lot of money when you can buy us jap even some euro stuff at that price.

I have the Helix HDLR and it's pretty good value for money, its not vx5hd or z5 good but then it's less than half the new price for the equivalent with exposed turrets and illuminated reticle.
    I managed to pick off a yearling on the weekend at 470 yards it dialed perfectly for what was a 30 click adjustment.
    At the end of the day if you want to compare it to Alpha glass you will never be happy, but it is packed full of features, works well and has solid customer support from the NZ reps.
    I took a punt and I'm happy with mine, so much so that I'm contemplating buying a second one. would I replace it with the equivalent alpha glass given the choice ? absolutely in a heart beat but that choice is yours to make, spend upfront and risk buyers remorse, or buy and upgrade later, or just buy and be happy. I guess it depends on your situation and what your prepared to compromise on.
    to the O.P if you are Canterbury based your welcome to come have a look through mine in low light to see what you think ? I found mine was ok right up till dusk up to 12-14x mag easily very shootable even in very low light, you did loose a lot if you cranked it up to 16x in those conditions, but that in reality will get you a long way out in most hunting situations.
    #DANNYCENT

I have the hdlr 2-16 and the helix 6-24 for the price they are good is there better in the price range no there are a couple on par ie burris signature 3-15x44 do you shoot less animals not really, they aren't the lightest if that's what your into but they are a work horse not a show pony or race horse but dependable and will get you there
    dannyb likes this.

My Helix 6-24 is now on Craig's 300 RUM and he shot a couple deer at 450 the other day so they can take recoil. The air needs to be pretty clear to get the best from 24x but excellent for the price point. Mine has done a ton of good honest work without fault.

It's seems that the mechanics are solid at all of Ellement's price points, you just get better glass the more you pay. The basic Helix is as good as any vx3 Ive had and more reliable. Ive never kept a vx3.

This was on 24x at 375 yards. Head shot. That scope would have been dialled many hundred of times prior to that.

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  2.09 MB
    Last edited by Tahr; 04-12-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    Trout, Pete_D and dannyb like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I've got a titan 3-18 on my 22 shot a match in weekend, furthest target needed 20.8 mil (71.5 moa) returned to zero well, turrets have rubber rings inside them which dull the feel of clicks a bit. Glass was good for what we were doing but UT was full daylight so no low light testing to share
    Tahr and blair993 like this.

I've got the Helix 4-16x44 FFP. For a scope that you want to fiddle with turrets and dial up for longer shots, I reckon you won't find a better option for the price bracket. Exceptionally good in that regard, I've not been happy with anything else at the same price point. Reticles are nice and sharp too.
    Tahr likes this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

You wont go wrong with them mate great optics, i run a Theos for my main match rifle and a 3-18 titan also. Will be adding more to the safe in the future
    dannyb likes this.

I run x2 titans 5-25 on my centerfire comp rifles anx a helix 4-16 on my rimfire.
    In its price range the Titan punches above its weight.
    Perfect for inside 1000meters.
    Using Tapatalk

I use a nexus on my hunting rig. It’s been flawless, would happily recommend. I took a punt not knowing too much about them but the glass is excellent and it’s been bombproof.