Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Entry level Binos

I was doing the same thing with the same budget. I ended up getting some Sightron 10x40 from Deadeye dicks but was also looking at Bushnell Trophy, Bone collector and Nikon

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...ll-8x42-trophy
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...x42-roof-prism
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...ism-waterproof
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...-42-roof-prism
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...a211-binocular
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...n-a211-8-18x42

Jacobs had a large range available but there are other places to get them. I was able to get some decent prices from some of the local stores but the Sightrons took my fancy and thats they way I went.

I would avoid cheap zoom versions like the plague. You're paying for unnecessary mechanicals at the expense of basic optical quality, and there's far more to go wrong with them.

Saw a classic example on a mate's boat on the weekend. They were Bushnells and the collimation was so bad, it near ripped your eyes out after 10 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I would avoid cheap zoom versions like the plague. You're paying for unnecessary mechanicals at the expense of basic optical quality, and there's far more to go wrong with them.

Saw a classic example on a mate's boat on the weekend. They were Bushnells and the collimation was so bad, it near ripped your eyes out after 10 secs.
    Cheers for the heads up. I did notice that there was not alot of models offering that in this price bracket so it was probably something to avoid.

Pineapple likes this.

Fulla
    Hit the Mrs up for the fly buys points, there's usually some on there, get the better ones.
    Basically free.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Hit the Mrs up for the fly buys points, there's usually some on there, get the better ones.
    Basically free.
    Thats a damn good idea - didnt even think of that .....pretty sure we dont need another toaster or pillows!
    bully and 223nut like this.

I have a pair of Vortex Diamond Backs I bought sight unseen for my boys to use so I could get my Leica's back when hunting rabbits. My brother has a pair of budget end Leupolds. The Leupolds beat the Vortex hands down. I looked at everything that was on offer at this years Sika show, and you will not get better than Leupold in any price bracket under $1K.
    Pineapple likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli Boy View Post
    I just purchased a set of Minox BF 10 x42 binos from Optics Planet in the US. $298.00 nz landed within 7 days. The German glass is superior to Leupold (I own 3 leupold riflescopes and one spotting scope so my opinion is un biased) importing is the best option as on this purchase as you immediately save $45.00 gst. I will try to post a link.
    I don't think you'll get German glass in a $300 pair of binos,sorry to burst your bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    These, good binos

I had a pair that I used while my Minox HGs were sent to be repaired (took a very big tumble...) and they were bloody awesome, sold them to a forum member, can't remember who!

Hi mate , I have a pair of Bushnell Powerviews 10x42 and a pair of bushnell 10X42 LEGEND E-SERIES , Both great binos, The powerviews go for $140 ish the legends go for 300 ish, My opinion leupolds are over priced there are plenty of other brands out there that have great optics and will definitely do the job for you!

Thanks for narrowing down the field - I missed out on the minox on trademe so went to H&F to have a look through the yosemites and mcKenzies and pick my winner but after about 1/2 hour and 1/2 dozen different pairs of binos in my price range I walked out with a pair of Bushnell trophy bone collector's. I couldnt put my finger on it but I kept coming back to them as they just suited my eyes (or piss poor eyesight) better.

Yip as said bushnell trophy xlt 10× great binos