Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Entry level rifle.

R93
    Caliber choice and rifle (good start) aside I would get a vari power scope as it will come in handy for a number of reasons you will find out. Once you have got the bug you will venture further away than Wellington I bet.
    Don't have to break the bank either.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I agree mate, he had it sorted now is going to get bombarded with opinions that don't have any substance Howas are shit to btw hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaaaaacough ha
    Ouch!
    Gibo likes this.

the Savage model 10's and 110's wont do you wrong. I got a 10 in 7mm-08 and the thing shoots tight. topped it with a Nikon 3-9x40. Dropped these two swine last week no problem, not to mention the deer and other feral beast I've pegged with it.

Name:  piggy 2.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  118.1 KBName:  piggy.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  128.8 KB
    gadgetman likes this.

Wont go wrong with that howa man. Good rifles. Probably easier to track one down than a savage also
    Pointer and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dansus View Post
    well i could sell the house not sure if the misses would be happy tho
    But you'll be able to sell it 2nd hand in a few years time for twice the price because it has Sako stamped on it

The Howa packages are pretty hard to beat. Rifle, scope, hard case,etc all for about a grand new. I have seen them around $1300 suppressed. Second hand ones one trade me are getting close to similar money asking around $700 t $800 for the rifle. Yes a better scope would be a good idea. But when you get it ask about upgrading, but to get you started, the basic Nikko scopes are far better the no name crap floating around and from what I have seen will match Redfield and Simmons base ranges.

For saving a few $$ look at the likes of Husqvarna 6.5x55. A few float around on trade ma around the %500 mark and while a bit heavy, they are usually good shooters if they are well maintained. (Any rifle will be shit of its abused though)

New comes with a warranty which is a good idea if you are new to shooting and not sure about condition etc.

The Howa is a decent action and while a little heavier than others is easily a match for the Savage and Marlin and going by the results I see at the local range the Howa will out shoot both. Zastava are a bit cheaper and based on a Mauser action. Reliable and worth looking at but I would still pick the Howa if it was for my cupboard. The Howa 6.5x55 in one of the earlier listings could be a good idea if the price is right.

If you want to go better than Howa, the you will end up looking at the likes of CZ, Sako and Browning. I may annoy a few people, but the only advantage Tikka have over the Howa is weight and if going to Tikka, I would suggest stepping up to a CZ instead.
    northdude likes this.

Of the $1k package options I'd take the Savage Trophy Hunter+Weaver combo over the Howa+Nikko no question personally.

I'd suggest going to a few shops and handling the options, then choose the one that you like the fit and feel of best - different rifles suit different people.
    gadgetman likes this.

Look I have have 3 howas, 223, 708 and 7RM. yes the factory stock could do with improvement and yes the package scope is poos but they are still hands down a better rifle that their competitors for the same price. My advice would be to get a rifle package, take off the scope and get some Sun aluminium low rings, a Redfield revolution 3-9 and call it done. You can sell the old scope and rings to recoup some money and you will never look back.
    Just my 2 cents. sure you might get a Savage or Marlin etc for a bit cheaper but you will have a cheap gun. YOu get more than you pay for with the Howa.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    yes the factory stock could do with improvement and yes the package scope is poos but they are still hands down a better rifle that their competitors for the same price
    So tell us what the Howa does better, I can't think of anything.

These savage vs Howa threads are awesome.
    Sorry can't fukn stand either of them.
    Toby, Scouser and Gibo like this.

More interested in handbags eh?
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    These savage vs Howa threads are awesome.
    Sorry can't fukn stand either of them.
    Howa is an improved sako bro

No one is forcing anyone to read these threads...
    Back on topic, the Savage trigger is far superior to Howa triggers which the OP might want to take into account

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    No one is forcing anyone to read these threads...
    Back on topic, the Savage trigger is far superior to Howa triggers which the OP might want to take into account
    Not imo. That accu trigger is a gimmick
    Pointer likes this.

Have you tried one @Toby ??