Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By Maca49
  • 3 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By sddeeming
  • 4 Post By Fssprecision
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Tasbay

Thread: Euro Arms of America .45 black power info needed

Steved

Euro Arms of America .45 black power info needed

Hey brains trust
    I'll start by saying I am a complete novice to black powder and this was an impulse buy
    I spent an hr googling with limited results info on my newly purchased Euro Arms Of America .45 muzzle loader.
    all I could find was the AB markings mean it was built in 1976
    My question is what projectile should I use? it appears to have some grooves in the barrel but they almost look straight
    I think I'll try find a club or knowledgeable persons around Whangarei to help me set it up and get shooting but if i could have a few bits and pieces ready would be good
    any info much appreciated cheersName:  348380685_5615422085224310_4600974984272022516_n.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  251.9 KBName:  348380575_281687120925167_3415544104800075112_n.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  152.7 KBName:  348380651_221371517373358_6376054045407567335_n.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  185.2 KB

You probably put about 60 grains of FFFG down the barrel, after cleaning any oil out and depending of the twist, stuff a round ball with a greased patch or a greased 45 cal projectile down the barrel, put a cap on the nipple, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger.
    Now two things you need to know, there are to be NO air gaps between the powder and the projectile, it must be rammed tight onto the powder, measure on the rod to know when its home.
    Secondly, you cannot over load with power, if you put too much powder in, it will be wasted, un burnt out the barrel, so that’s a good thing and only use black powder.
    You can use grades FFFG or FFG, 45 I’d use FFFG
    Be careful with hang fires, they can be very dangerous, if it doesn’t fire, don’t go looking down the barrel. You can try another cap, but leave a good few minutes if it doesn’t fire second time, you can then remove the nipple, clean, dry, put in new powder under the nipple, refit nipple and try again.
    I may have a book here I can send to you. I’ll have a gander tomorrow, i may also have some round ball
    Enjoy
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

And before you load it and after you've cleaned the bore fire a couple of caps to clean the fire channel out

Always fire a cap before loading after storage

So you will also need a nipple key for its removal.
    Don't take the nipple out every time you clean it or the threads will wear prematurely
    Maca49, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

As maca 49 says it's rifled probably 1:40 or slower so start with round ball. The old fashioned way with those to get the charge is to place the ball in the palm of your hand and pour powder onto it till it reaches the top. Like maca I've got some instructions somewhere which I'll dig out. You'll also probably want a short starter, nipple wrench and a worm for removing balls that were loaded without powder.
    Welcome to the dark side🙂
    Micky Duck likes this.

Steved
    cheers for that, any advice on where to buy the gear? doing a google and I keep finding parts here and parts there
    Micky Duck likes this.

Reloaders or a good local owner run sports goods shop that understands hunting for a mold, same for percussion caps, it looks like that will take no 11 caps cci amongst others make them. Lube make yourself beeswax and tallow or lard 1: 3 or straight lard, beeswax is too hard on its own. If you load and fire pretty much instantly a "spit patch" ( wet ) is hard to beat. Still looking for that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Reloaders or a good local owner run sports goods shop that understands hunting for a mold, same for percussion caps, it looks like that will take no 11 caps cci amongst others make them. Lube make yourself beeswax and tallow or lard 1: 3 or straight lard, beeswax is too hard on its own. If you load and fire pretty much instantly a "spit patch" ( wet ) is hard to beat. Still looking for that book.
    Well he's crap out of luck being in Whangarei for a sports shop with any Black powder support.
    However there are a fair few BP shooters up here. (I'm not one)

Hi I am literally a couple of k away from you (Kauri), give me a call we can talk about the gun and I have local contacts to get all that you need.

Cheers
    Darren 021 2238222

Found it. Lyman 43rd edition 1964. Some are probably upside down or sideways and they may not be in sequence but I'm sure you can sort that out, as I can't.
    Seems page 1 is in the middle page 2 is above it upside down and page 3 is last splendid effort.!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Micky Duck and sddeeming like this.

Old timer's saying..."ram the powder, not the lead...if you want to kill them dead".

Looking at your pictures it looks like you have a Investarms Hawken. There should be an (I) or similar imprinted on the barrel. The barrel will be 1-48 twist rate and for use with Round ball or conical bullets (I shoot round ball). I would try the following 60 grains of powder FF or FFF, a .440 round ball and a Ticking patch (buy ticking from a draper) I just cut strips into squares a bit larger than the barrel is across. Lube the patches with olive oil, moist not wet.
    Ther are some good videos on YouTube . Search how to load a muzzleloader.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Google / PR0502 Dixie Hawken Rifle / This is what you have only these days the lock is stamped with engraving.