Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The ever reliable Stirling Model 20.. why won't they work?

Re lubrication, one of mine I purchased second hand some 43 years ago and the guy I got it off told me not to use oil on the bolt, just scrub it out with petrol when it needs a clean. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and it's never given me trouble. Very accurate too.
    Although this one is an earlier production and doesn't have the muck metal trigger assembly. She's steel.
    My other one is the muck metal version but haven't used it enough to encounter any issues.

Banned
    washing parts in kerosine works too - the kero gets rid of the grease and gunk but leaves a slightly oily residue that acts as a lubricant without being overdone.

same with 2stroke mix. I use atf on bolts for lube

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    same with 2stroke mix. I use atf on bolts for lube
    Somebody on this forum pointed out ATF is water soluble so if you hunt in the rain…
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

My last resort was to take it a gunsmith who had some spare bits. He replaced the trigger mechanism and viola.. it’s humming now. So far she cycles a full magazine without stopping. I have reached the pinnacle of Armscor products; a working Stirling m20.

It’s a pity that the new looking 4x32 Nikko scope that I mounted on it has a bung vertical adjustment turret! Oh well can’t have everything.