Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: first time with thermal

first time with thermal

This will be pretty basic stuff to many of you, but I've just had my first experience with using a thermal to spot deer. Thanks to a truly good bugger on this forum (who will remain nameless until I get permission to name him) I was offered the use of a thermal to try out. I had never had any interaction with this forum member, and the offer was made despite him not knowing me at all... some true good people here! Anyway, it arrived on Saturday afternoon, with instructions not to let it get wet. So what happens? It started to rain. And rain. Almost 200mm of rain later, I finally got a break in the rain this afternoon and took the thermal out to see what I could see, no rifle this time.

I'm a farmer who plants trees, and while I like venison, shooting deer for me is about pest control rather than the hunting experience. I have lost a lot of trees (and money) to feral deer and goats, but because the feral numbers are low and transient I have not had a lot of success in controlling the pests. I've been told several times that I'm probably walking past hidden deer on a regular basis. The thermal is my attempt to find, seek and destroy. No mercy, and no messing around with trying to leave a healthy population.

So I was out this afternoon, spotting trees, and rocks, and sheep and cattle. Spotting water tanks and machinery. Finding small birds and ducks (the ducks swimming in what is usually my hay paddock). The one thing I did not expect was how fast the batteries would go flat, after only about 15 minutes the battery symbol was flashing red.

I really wanted to find a deer, having been told deer show up a lot 'colder' than sheep and cattle I wanted to see for myself and know for future reference. But half way home with the battery symbol flashing flat I was searching the last few lines of trees when the screen went dark. Next ridge.... 3 red deer standing watching me from about 300m away. I tried to get the thermal to power up again, but no show.

So, I see the potential, but frustratingly have not yet used it to find any deer.

Next time the rifle is coming too!

them Bambis were laughing at you bud.......bet they back in primo tucker now still chuckling with mirth and jostling each other as they munch away....

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    The batteries should last a lot longer than that in a thermal Ben.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

What model have you got that does seem to fast for battery to go flat.and yip there is some truly good buggers on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder that model you are using, I got myself a xm30 a few months ago and its been great on the deer. Surprising what you can spot in the morning, would of walked past a few deer without it.

Mine lasts a good 4-5h on one battery, never had to use the spare but always have one there to use.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

As above batts should last way longer on anything I have used.....inless you are using a casset thing that takes AA batts? I've never used that option but it is or was there on pulsars but the capacity of a budget AA is nothing compared to the proper pack.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In my experience deer show slightly warmer than sheep depending on how thick the sheep's wool is. My pulsar lasts 5 + hours
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    In my experience deer show slightly warmer than sheep depending on how thick the sheep's wool is. My pulsar lasts 5 + hours
    Especially if they are wet.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Deer are a lot “hotter” then sheep also neck is a lot longer and and longer in leg it’s easy to get them confused in the thermal till you have spent a bit of time, I’ve stalked a few sheep till I got the hang of it
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Deer are a lot “hotter” then sheep also neck is a lot longer and and longer in leg it’, I’ve stalked a few sheep till I got the hang of it
    no velcro glove needed LOL.
    planenutz and Fat ninja like this.

It's an older model pulsar hd38s with 4xAA batteries, but hey guys a complete stranger let me me borrow it so I was not complaining it was not top of the range! It's test of concept to see how it performs in my situation. What I really wanted to see is how far into the bush I could see relative to just visual. The AA batteries were new but it's always possible they had been sitting around too long. 15 minutes did seem extremely fast to run down.

How much has the performance changed since this model?
    Micky Duck likes this.

If they were just dry cell alkaline batteries theres your problem.
    With the pack they last hours.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If they were just dry cell alkaline batteries theres your problem.
    With the pack they last hours.
    Well that's all I've got so I'll make do! Finding the deer is all that matters.

I'm currently using an older model, Flir with standard alkaline. 30mins is about tops but newer stuff typically running 3200mah batteries will last 4 times as long atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    no velcro glove needed LOL.
    I always carry them and gum boots….haha
    Pengy likes this.