Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Fixing requirements for E cat safe

I used a 3mm Steel plate ,to solve the wooden floor issue.
    I think you will find you have to affix safe to "Two surfaces" .. eg the, Back and the Bottom on the safe ...
    Regulations say 10mm minimum Bolts ... my A.O suggested 12mm ... so I upped the size of the bolts and the doubled the amount necessary bolts required .

Extra security measures like ensuring all windows ,doors,locks work correctly and can be "Locked securely"
    Other measures like a CCTV security camera... Monitored alarm system ..A LARGE DOG ... or NOSEY Neighbour .. (who thinks he's a GuardDog lol)
    All Stack the odds in your favour for security .

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Just a thought, but if you are going to cut into your floor, and you have minimal crawl space, why not cut the flooring out under the safe, say 25mm smaller than the safe footprint, then excavate, box and poor a concrete footing with comes up flush with the top of the floor. Boxing can stay in place permanently. Once it is cured, drill and dynabolt the safe down. Would give the chainsaw thief a hell of a fright. For the police, just take photos of the foundations in progress for evidence as once the safe is in place, you would never know that the footing is there.
    A very good solution too.

Cheers
    Pete

one of the main probs I have with nosey neighbours is on one side , I have 3 old girls that are suffering a bit of dementia ..... last week I went out to cut some kindling for the fire, one of the old biddies came up to the six foot fence and yelled she was gunna call the cops .... I told her its me you silly twat , I have lived next door to you for 14years ..... she just kept on screaming to call the police .!!!! .... hopefully if she ever catches someone who isn't ment to be there , that she actually does remember to ring the police !!!!!
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Baz
    interesting thread.

Seems to differ to who you ask and what you read. Talked to a mate and he mentioned the 'plate' must cover 3 joists.

Asked if 2 runs of angle iron covering 3 joists with 2 bolts into safe floor each would be ok, he seemed to think yes.

Will ask one of the AO's at the club tomorrow night.

also , if I remember rightly it just says bolted in two places as in wall and floor ... I don't think it says you must have two bolts in each ...... I will go find the regs and report back..

ok so it says "should be bolted a minimum of two surfaces , one of which shall be the floor , bolt shafts to be a minimum of 10mm in diameter and when bolted into concrete , expanding or chemical settin g bolts must be used,
    where the cabinet is bolted to a wooden floor it shall be through bolted to a steel plate which exceeds the floor area of the cabinet and is retained on at least 2 florr joists ....

there is a little more but this is the minimum ... anything you do over and above this ,is up to you ... if you do the bare minimum then it is fine , .. I will do more just for my own peace of mind , (try chainsawing my floor you fukker) ..... its too bad man traps are illegal ....
    Last edited by stumpy; 18-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    mucko likes this.

My AO told me it had to be 6mm steel plate under the floor, same as the safes minimum required thickness....
    mucko likes this.

no where in the regs does it say 6mm

but in saying that , .... if the AO is adamant that he or she wants that then you cant really afford to piss them off ....... but that aint the minimum ....if it does say 6mm plate , I must have missed it ,,, or maybe there is a new amendment out ....
    would love to know if im wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    no where in the regs does it say 6mm

but in saying that , .... if the AO is adamant that he or she wants that then you cant really afford to piss them off ....... but that aint the minimum ....if it does say 6mm plate , I must have missed it ,,, or maybe there is a new amendment out ....
    would love to know if im wrong ...
    when i put my E cat safe in back in about 1997 the Tauranga AO was adamant that 6mm was used on the base plate being 6mm mild steel and of coarse larger then the area of the safe. interesting i see above for concrete fixing chemset or expanding bolts i have never been allowed to use dynabolts they simply stated it will not comply and thats from three different AO. Interesting stuff

the regs I got off the police website , have a number up the top right "POL 67N "
    I would have thought that the min would be 6mm as well .... but its written in black and white in their own regs .... My local AO said its ok to use the angle and when quizzed about thickness , just said nice and sturdy ....

it must be open to interpretation to give the AO lee way on the insulation. as long as it is deemed to be stout application. if it heavy enough angle iron it will spreed the load across the floor joist any way and hinder a fair attempt to lever the safe off or through the floor. they used to be anal about not having rounded edges where the safe contacts the wall and floor as not to allow any tools to gain leverage on the safe.

I hate the way that the law is open to interpretation .... the application of the law I understand .... but not the hard and fast requirements of fixing , that should be as easy as 123 ......
    mucko and Towely like this.