Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: floorplate vs detachable magazine

Gone but not forgotten
    A detachable magazine is probably of no benefit for culling mobs of goats etc if you only have one magazine - you can probably reload a floorplate just as quick as a detachable magazine.
    The benefit only comes from having several magazines already loaded.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    A detachable magazine is probably of no benefit for culling mobs of goats etc if you only have one magazine - you can probably reload a floorplate just as quick as a detachable magazine.
    ....never seen a 10 shot floorplate....
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    ....never seen a 10 shot floorplate....

LOL!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

GWH
    For hunting, i must say i do tend to prefer my rifles that have a flush hinged floor plate, I have a number of Model 7's and a semi custom Rem 700 and my full custom rifle that i specified every part on it and i chose to run a hinged floor plate mag on it too. I do have a couple of T3's and an older Tikka M595 as well which all run detachable mags. I lost the mag of the M595 once while hunting which really pissed me off, not easy to get replacements and quite expensive. About 3 years later I did actually find the lost M595 mag again, which i couldnt believe.

Im now always worried about loosing it again, so much so that when using that rifle i have a wide rubber band slide over it so even if the release gets bumped it will not fall out.

The rifle i use the most is my Model 7 7mm Saum which has a hinged floor plate, and its just easy, nothing to leave behind or fall out. You watch under these new rules of having bolts out of rifles while in cars etc, there will be tones of cases of people leaving the bolt in the glovebox or where ever you keep it.

I can imagine that a detachable mag on a target rifle or varminting rifle can be handy though.
    caberslash likes this.

Well, people who use detachable box magazines must think this isn't even a question.

It's gotta come down to the scenario you use it in and personal preference.
    I like magazines for the ease of unloading and I find the 3 shot Tikkas are fine for most of what I do hunting wise.
    My CZ550 in .375 H&H has a floorplate, it's how they come.

All the pros and cons are listed above. You don't plan to leave the magazine home but it has happened.

Also Tikka magazines can limit cartridge overall length , mostly ok but an issue for some wanting to seat out.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.

surprised nobody who owns a savage lever or styremanlicher hasnt chimbed in with smartarse comment that "they both primative compared to an internal rotary mag"
    caberslash likes this.

I find the detachable box mag better for quickly unloading the rifle when I get to camp or reach a track where I'm unloading. I think it's less alarming to people you meet to touch a button and unload than without fuss than work the action untold times and end up with a handful of jingling ammo. The rifle is very visibly in safe mode when the bolt and mag are out. Also better for loading up as I have ammo stored in the mag (not for days at a time) where its clean dry and protected in my pocket or bumbag then just click it in when I start hunting.

I don't like the way unloading a floorplate leaves the leaf spring and follower ( fairly critical parts for reliable function) swinging in the breeze, vulnerable to damage, dirt and requiring careful reassembly before the gun can be used again. You then need to catch the loose rounds in mid air and carefully store them somewhere with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I find the detachable box mag better for quickly unloading the rifle when I get to camp or reach a track where I'm unloading. I think it's less alarming to people you meet to touch a button and unload than without fuss than work the action untold times and end up with a handful of jingling ammo. The rifle is very visibly in safe mode when the bolt and mag are out. Also better for loading up as I have ammo stored in the mag (not for days at a time) where its clean dry and protected in my pocket or bumbag then just click it in when I start hunting.

I don't like the way unloading a floorplate leaves the leaf spring and follower ( fairly critical parts for reliable function) swinging in the breeze, vulnerable to damage, dirt and requiring careful reassembly before the gun can be used again. You then need to catch the loose rounds in mid air and carefully store them somewhere with one hand.
    FFS better stay at home if you worry about stuff like that.

The USMC and US Army fielded floorplate equipped sniper rifles in the M40 and M24, eventually they both changed to AICS box mags but I suspect that was down to the people shooting back at them.
    woods223 likes this.

Wanting to get a floorplate set up- what are some newer off the shelf versions to look at? Kind of wanting either 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag for it. Cheers

My browning has a mag that clips onto the floor plate. Seems a good idea so far

I like drop plate staggered feed for it's top loading as well as no mag to lose.

I must be the only person who likes my blind mag ��

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    I must be the only person who likes my blind mag ��
    Nah I do too.
    Chopping a hole in a stock doesn't do much for rigidity.
    makka likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    you are right Cigar - shooting mobs of goats in fact I used to shoot single shot-after emptying mag - load one fire load one fire and that worked on mobs - floor plate nice to carry - dont rattle and cant lose - mag only of benefit if big say 7-8 shot - and two of them - pig to carry and to use though especially lying down - but realistically how often is it needed - how many of us shoot up mobs of goats really -
    woods223 likes this.