Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 1 Post By 00buck
  • 1 Post By No.3

Thread: Front blade sight on my 1941 Lithgow SMLE III

Front blade sight on my 1941 Lithgow SMLE III

Had my old girl out in the paddock shooting about 16" high at 100m with PPU Factory 180gn SPs. Rear sight at lowest adjustment. Yes, I know it was probably originally set up to frag the enemy at distances I can now only dream of seeing with iron sights. Nevertheless, I need to get it down close to a 100m zero for what I want to use it for.

The rule being to adjust the front sight elevation toward the error being corrected, I need to raise it.

There are 9 sizes of blade originally issued, Zero being number 3 so 6 taller blades potentially. I can't see a number on mine but it measures close to Zero.

I don't hold much hope of sourcing replacements but making one should not be difficult..maybe out of brass, maybe even (heretically) with a Fibre Optic insert

If you look at the photos below, mine is either badly rusted in over the last 81 years, or, it has been welded.

First question then is does it drift out from front to back or back towards the front? EDIT: apparently it is meant to drift out from right to left. Mmmm...

Secondly, has anyone determined a suitable height fir 100m zero with hunting ammo?

Third, does anyone have a set of blades available (fits of raucous laughter from the wings)

Name:  20221115_191725.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  959.6 KB

Name:  20221115_191655.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  909.3 KB

Name:  20221115_191625.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  443.7 KB

Name:  20221115_191602.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  391.1 KB
    Last edited by Jhon; 15-11-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I've got plenty of front sight blades of varying heights. Flick me a pm.
    dogmatix, Jhon and csmiffy like this.

16" quite a lot, is the rifle a sporter? You may not get the elevation right with sight blades- the minor adjustment range available was meant for fully wooded rifles firing a standard military load. sometimes with bayonet attached.... Try a sight height calculator, this 1 might work or search for more. https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/ . It will tell you what sort of height required.
    Jhon likes this.

Yeah, so do I but buried haha. The blades aren't that uncommon although most people seem to want to increase their height - probably makes sense considering the fact that a lot of sporting ammo is lighter, more modern powders and the bedding is quite different in sporting 3-0's to military.

Edit - dummy up one by taping a piece of the right width card to the blade around the muzzle so it doesn't fall off and then trim it down until you've got the height you need. Then you have a measurement (it's top of the foresight base to top of blade - the blades were all the same height it was the base with the dovetail on it that got thicker...).
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yeah, so do I but buried haha. The blades aren't that uncommon although most people seem to want to increase their height - probably makes sense considering the fact that a lot of sporting ammo is lighter, more modern powders and the bedding is quite different in sporting 3-0's to military.

Edit - dummy up one by taping a piece of the right width card to the blade around the muzzle so it doesn't fall off and then trim it down until you've got the height you need. Then you have a measurement (it's top of the foresight base to top of blade - the blades were all the same height it was the base with the dovetail on it that got thicker...).
    Bloody good idea, thks

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    16" quite a lot, is the rifle a sporter? You may not get the elevation right with sight blades- the minor adjustment range available was meant for fully wooded rifles firing a standard military load. sometimes with bayonet attached.... Try a sight height calculator, this 1 might work or search for more. https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/ . It will tell you what sort of height required.
    Yes it has been sporterised. Ok will do.