Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By blip
  • 3 Post By caberslash
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Bill999

Thread: Fussy Sako Folk

Fussy Sako Folk

Before I get into it.. I too am/can be as fussy as the next bugger when it comes to getting my rifles setup right.

Looking at mounting a matte grey/copper scope to a L461 Vixen. Considering getting stainless 30mm stainless rings probably purely cause can’t fathom todays rrp on blued..

My question you to cleaver buggers, other than looking a tad funny, is there any issue clamping up blued on stainless. Hardness and corrosion etc.

Have already been talked out of chopping/suppressing this particular rifle being that is fairly authentic. If anyone feels strongly about stainless vs blued feel free to chip in. Leaning blued if something pops up.

I’m assuming based on other threads, that 85XS and these older L461 share the same standard tapered dovetail. So can use one piece option without any drama. Scopes 40+mm so maybe tight running low but always my preference. If one of you gents is sitting on 30mm one piece low, I’m in the market for good condition options $150-200

Helpful advice always appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blued is fine on stainless so assumably its fine the other way around.
    VXN222 and Dazzh like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

just a point on putting a can on it I saw a threading job done by Tru Flight in Gisborne and one could not tell it was threaded so neatly was the cap done - worth thinking about - makes a more useable rifle
    blip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    just a point on putting a can on it I saw a threading job done by Tru Flight in Gisborne and one could not tell it was threaded so neatly was the cap done - worth thinking about - makes a more useable rifle
    They built a rifle for me and yea cant even tell there's a thread cap there....
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by VXN222 View Post
    Before I get into it.. I too am/can be as fussy as the next bugger when it comes to getting my rifles setup right.

Looking at mounting a matte grey/copper scope to a L461 Vixen. Considering getting stainless 30mm stainless rings probably purely cause can’t fathom todays rrp on blued..

My question you to cleaver buggers, other than looking a tad funny, is there any issue clamping up blued on stainless. Hardness and corrosion etc.

Have already been talked out of chopping/suppressing this particular rifle being that is fairly authentic. If anyone feels strongly about stainless vs blued feel free to chip in. Leaning blued if something pops up.

I’m assuming based on other threads, that 85XS and these older L461 share the same standard tapered dovetail. So can use one piece option without any drama. Scopes 40+mm so maybe tight running low but always my preference. If one of you gents is sitting on 30mm one piece low, I’m in the market for good condition options $150-200

Helpful advice always appreciated, cheers.

You'll want some pre-Beretta Sako rings, not the Optilock jobbies.

Name:  CS_001497-SAKO-MED-26MM-SCOPE-MOUNTS-018-SM.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  76.8 KB

Got a couple pairs here, would send you some 1 inch ones if the NZ postal service does not consider them 'restricted parts'...?

Ditch
    Tahr, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post

Attachment 243131

Got a couple pairs here, would send you some 1 inch ones if the NZ postal service does not consider them 'restricted parts'...?

Ditch
    I don’t suppose you’ve got any of these lying around @caberslash?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Cheers Barry, I’ve seen there great work - including my 223 Keeping this in mind for the future. Sending the rifle up country has been a bit of an ordeal previously so have avoided to date.

Added to the issue.. would need a need suppressor as nothing I have has small enough barrel/tread..
    Definitely agree with usability as primarily setting this up for the kids to work into.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post

Attachment 243131

Ditch
    Thanks @caberslash previously picked up an original set, but in this case looking for 30mm options as the scope is a keeper. Will at this point hold out home for a tidy Blued 30mm set to turn up

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by VXN222 View Post
    Cheers Barry, I’ve seen there great work - including my 223 Keeping this in mind for the future. Sending the rifle up country has been a bit of an ordeal previously so have avoided to date.

Added to the issue.. would need a need suppressor as nothing I have has small enough barrel/tread..
    Definitely agree with usability as primarily setting this up for the kids to work into.

yes preserving a mint vixen I guess if one had the funds a rebarrel and keep the sako one original would work to - in case a new buyer wanted it back to original - I do like the idea of the kids working up to it
    VXN222 likes this.

The leupold steel ones are nice and low but optilocs are just such rings it’s hard to go past them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    VXN222 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    I don’t suppose you’ve got any of these lying around @caberslash?

Nope, but those are not the rear sights you want. The detachable, adjustable aperture peep is the way forward.