Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Getting a stiffy

Adding any material to the forend to stiffen it will add weight and ruin the balance. Get a replacement, better, stock if you want to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Adding any material to the forend to stiffen it will add weight and ruin the balance. Get a replacement, better, stock if you want to improve it.
    Unless its balance needed some weight forward.
    Going to a light stiff stock often ruins balance as its to light in the butt.

Sweeping statement there gimp. :thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'm gonna stand by it. The t3 doesn't need weight added to bring the balance forward, and a decent aftermarket stock doesn't weigh significantly more or less than the already light factory stock.

What about everyone with a suppressed T3 that would throw balance off worse then a little bit of weight in the stock. You could always drill a hole into the butt and fill it to balance it back out a bit?
    VIVA LA HOWA

I've felt some stocks that have been filled in with epoxy to stiffen them and it made them mad heavy. Way worse than a decent suppressor. And I don't recommend anyone buy a suppressor that isn't decent, so

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not an issue off the bench.

Can you throw it down on any terrain with an awkward position and have it shoot to the cross hairs?
    Its way more of an issue on the bench than in the field - provarmint is mint on the bench and blasts hares and rabbits to any distance I can pick them out in the field

A squishy stock makes lack of trigger control more apparent on the bench = you squeeze the trigger and your crosshairs drop... Learn to use your trigger well and the "problem" of a bendy stock goes away.

My walnut(heavy butt) 85 balances and swings beautifully. If i was to upgrade to a lighter stiffer stock for hunting the bulk of that weight would come out of the butt. If i was to up grade to a bench stock it would be pointless arguing balance.
    The wifes 595 i stiffened i added a few grams around the balance point and a few forward.
    Its was already very front heavy and made Bugger all if any difference to its already poor balance.
    If and when it gets a lighter profile barrel its balance will move aft but then it will probably end up in a senator or something and who knows where it will be then.

If you shoot off hand a lot at game a flexy stock is the last of your worrys. You need a rifle that fits first and swings.
    If you shoot off a bipod a lot at game balance is the last of your worrys. You want a stiff stock.
    Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

For what it's worth I recently brought a stock from the US in checked baggage without any problem. As I read the NZ regs a stock is not a 'firearm part' and therefore doesn't need an import permit. I had emailed the police firearms office beforehand and they confirmed this. I didn't bother declaring it at the NZ border as there was nothing to declare. I don't know if there are US export rules but I just packed it in my suitcase and that was that. I've not seen anything about export permits on the Boyd's or B&C sites.

You can bring a stock in your check in all good. I have often taken a stock over to aussie and back for mates. Im sure a rifle stock is no different thsn a shotgun