Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Glory Days of Big Green (Old Remington)

I only have the one Remington, s as n 870 . I compared the Mossberg 500 and the 870 at Gun city and the Remington seemed like it was built better , was going to pull the pin on one they had there and one that was effectively new popped up on Tardme for $400 .

How much did the lawsuits drive the company into bankruptcy? There plenty of comments here about the decline in quality of the 700 but the 783 and 770 seem to get even less love for their build quality .

The Bergara b14 is pretty much a copy of a 700 with a better extractor isn’t it ?
    caberslash likes this.
    Pack out heavy

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    What a shame... not to mention the fact that Remington have forgotten about primary extraction cams on their Rem700 ..
    Whole batches of the final ones had no useful primary extraction. Never a good start..
    caberslash likes this.

I have a few green branded firearms and seem to find them great quality and reliable,

My M700 7mm08 SS mountain rifle, shortened to 18inch has been used alot and does the job

I brought this for my partner, a M7 in 338 fed, has a Z5 on top and then the rest of it was purchased as is

Recently picked up a M7 in 7mm SAUM, mcmillan stock and finally got some RE26 to load up some 162s. Thinking I might shorten to 20inch eventually

Also have an 1187 premier light contour shotgun I used for years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    paremata and caberslash like this.

This is a great link - how much effort they used to put into their business, I felt like buying a Rem 1100 shotgun after this video...
    https://youtu.be/c_oduKvZots
    mimms2 and caberslash like this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

Be interesting to see how they go under the new ownership & factory move,a mate in the US was saying a while ago at how bad they were going before the latest cluster fuck sell out they went from over 1000 workers down 350 & only 260 of those were full time employees,the main problems with the end product quality over the recent times was the QC team was gutted & at times none were present to boost production numbers for the bean counters ,save wages/ over time & then bulk QC was rubber stamped .

Couple of articles for those interested -

" Gun-maker Remington Firearms will move its headquarters to Georgia, with plans to open a factory and research operation there.

The company and Georgia officials announced Monday that the nation's oldest gun manufacturer that started in Herkimer County in 1816 would invest $100 million in the operation in LaGrange, Georgia, southwest of Atlanta, hiring 856 people over five years."

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releas...n-new-advanced

https://www.uticaod.com/story/news/2...ia/6342489001/

https://www.uticaod.com/story/news/2...ia/6345417001/

https://www.uticaod.com/story/news/2...rk/6343747001/
    Last edited by bunji; 22-11-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    caberslash likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner223 View Post
    I have a few green branded firearms and seem to find them great quality and reliable,

My M700 7mm08 SS mountain rifle, shortened to 18inch has been used alot and does the job

I brought this for my partner, a M7 in 338 fed, has a Z5 on top and then the rest of it was purchased as is

Recently picked up a M7 in 7mm SAUM, mcmillan stock and finally got some RE26 to load up some 162s. Thinking I might shorten to 20inch eventually

Also have an 1187 premier light contour shotgun I used for years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Anytime you fall out of love with the 338Fed I'd like to be first in line.

I have always had rem 700.s they used to great out of the box .The last 2 i have purchased well lets just say they were not that good , The second to last rifle i got is a rem 700 clone christensen ridge line and it was a honey . Now am using a 700 284 and its back to the good old days but it need a bit of tlc to get there. If you want a 700 done right buy a bergera and if you want to spend more by a Ridgeline . They are still a good base to start with and most smiths know how to sort them out and there is a shit load of parts should you want to down that rabbit hole .

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Didn't they do the VTR? That never caught on...
    Name:  l_84374-77_700vtr_detail_barrel.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  9d0593a939c741d5c508dd14c2edcf97.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  21.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    The 6mm 600 bids hit $ 2010 and still didn’t reach the reserve!!
    @Mohawk .308 Holy Shit so maybe the original $3000 listed was right .Tell him he is dreaming
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Seen someone drop/pop a turkey at 300 m with one of those in 308