Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The good and Bad of Gun Oil

+1 for Eezox works well have that break free on me shelf personally found the Eezox works better for me
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

CLP here as well , only because of army days ...... but I also just bought some eezox because the arrogant guy at petone gun shop said I should ..... grumpy old prick
    Spanners likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Have used all kinds of crap on my shooters. 3 in 1, WD40, CRC 556, Slip 2000 EWL, Break Free, Hoppes, diesel engine oil, chassis grease...

Always found WD40 to offer good corrosion protection, shit as a lube, better than nothing as a cleaner. Chassis grease works well in the action of piston guns. Seemed to work ok as as a corrosion barrier. Diesel oil works great in AR's, keeps the carbon fluid. Kroil is good as a bore cleaner, I made the mistake of lubing the bolt on a 700 years ago when I was young and dumb. Stunk for weeks.

After a long time seeking the perfect do it all oil, it I've given up. It seems to depend a bit on the gun, and what you're using it for.

Nowadays I use boretech for cleaning the bores of all rifles. I usually follow that with Kroil to protect the bore.

On my old hunting guns, lee-enfields and mausers, I use ballistol a lot for a cleaner/protectant, because it is fine for use on wood and leather. I don't want to screw my wood/bedding if the wrong oil gets into it.

On my ARs I use slip2000 to clean the action/parts, CLP to lube bolt, gas rings, springs, pins etc, and lithium grease on the bolt rails. On my chinese guns I use Ed's red as a cleaner/lube. On my M305, I also use lithium grease on bolt rails, and roller.

To me, it seems like the product you use will depend a bit on your rifle and needs. What works well for one, might not be so great for others. I've got a box full of other oils/solvents that I've tried over the years, most of them just didn't measure up, or I found something that worked better for me.
    10-Ring likes this.

Lost For Time
    Hoppes #9 and INOX
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Eezox is really the best. There's a article on 6mmbr

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Eezox is really the best. There's a article on 6mmbr
    It only scored average on the tests shown in the link that Banana posted.

Frog lube came in the top three - might give it a try.