Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Got the scope sorted... now just need to settle on either 6.5x55 swede OR 7mm-08...

Damn that is cheap

And this was even cheaper! and I feel a better rifle which is why one is now getting acquainted with its new buddies in my gun safe

Howa Ranchland Compact Package 7mm08

Wasn't even planning on purchasing on saturday, I was just going to get a feel of the different options but when I saw this it was a no-brainer!. And the ranchland even comes with a threaded muzzle which saves me $80 into the bargain.

Now to settle on a good monocore suppressor design that I can make

thanks for the input guys

Tracy
    gadgetman, Scouser and 10-Ring like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Hows it shoot? had a play with one the other day, and the barrel seemed a bit light to me. Great buying though. Much stiffer stock than about anything else in the pricerange.
    Hi Nick, its great as a 'bush rifle', mines ranged for 100 yds as i only hunt in the bush, the weight and barrel length were the main consideration for me, + the price and the fact its stainless and threaded....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Proneshooter View Post
    And this was even cheaper! and I feel a better rifle which is why one is now getting acquainted with its new buddies in my gun safe

Howa Ranchland Compact Package 7mm08

Wasn't even planning on purchasing on saturday, I was just going to get a feel of the different options but when I saw this it was a no-brainer!. And the ranchland even comes with a threaded muzzle which saves me $80 into the bargain.

Now to settle on a good monocore suppressor design that I can make

thanks for the input guys

Tracy
    Jeese, you cant beat that price....awesome deal Tracy
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I reckon!

I looked at the Savage AXIS... what a piece of crap! The trophy hunter was "better" but the stock was still woeful.

Thats the other benefit of the Howa.. although not perfectly rigid the Houge stock is streets ahead of all the other plastic jobs. If I had got one of them then it would have been another $150 or so getting a Boyds stock.

I do like the extended-type pistol grip on the Houge as well.

Seriously, what are the Yanks making their budget plastic stocks from??? the same crap they make their car dashboards from I'd guess!!!!! (see various TopGear tests of Yank cars)

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Jeese, you cant beat that price....awesome deal Tracy

GWH
    I reckon!

I looked at the Savage AXIS... what a piece of crap! The trophy hunter was "better" but the stock was still woeful.

Thats the other benefit of the Howa.. although not perfectly rigid the Houge stock is streets ahead of all the other plastic jobs. If I had got one of them then it would have been another $150 or so getting a Boyds stock.

I do like the extended-type pistol grip on the Houge as well.

Seriously, what are the Yanks making their budget plastic stocks from??? the same crap they make their car dashboards from I'd guess!!!!! (see various TopGear tests of Yank cars)
    Definitely don't buy an Axis!!

Actually the stocks on the Marlins X7's are pretty good eh, nothing like those other nasty ones, and dont seem to be as flexi as the stocks on the rem 700's (Marlin owned by same company that owns Remington).

I have the Howa 1500 in 243 and love it great rifle. nothing in it between the 6.5 and the 7 apart from personal preference in saying that the swed would be my pick but they will both kill

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    I have the Howa 1500 in 243 and love it great rifle. nothing in it between the 6.5 and the 7 apart from personal preference in saying that the swed would be my pick but they will both kill
    yeah if this package/price came in 6.5 also I'd have gone with the swede but hey, as you and others have said not a lot of difference in them
    mucko likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    yeah if this package/price came in 6.5 also I'd have gone with the swede but hey, as you and others have said not a lot of difference in them
    Great buy. The 7mm/08 is a terrific cartridge only bettered by the mighty .308
    Danny likes this.

They do it in the swede, but not in the lightweight config. Has the standard profile barrel and is not threaded, so costs a few more buckeroos. 900-1000, still good value for a stainless rifle with a halfway decent stock.
    Ive had a play with a couple of the sub 1k rifles and the stocks are to a tee friggin awfull. Looked at that savage package, and any force on the forend flexes the stock into the barrel. Starts looking less of a bargain when you have to restock/bed just to get a stable shooting platform

I just picked up a Howa in 7mm08 yesterday for a quite few dollars more than the Reloaders deal but it has the ss barrel and wooden stock. For a while I was looking into the .243 but was talked around by a few people into the 7mm and pleased I did go for this cal

My thoughts exactly. To say those budget yank stocks are nasty is an understatement... good bongo though

You could stiffen the fore end and fill the rear with something but should you really have to do that to a brand new rifle just to make it usable??? me thinks not.. If you had no other options for new then I reckon taking that money and buying something good second hand would be a WAY better idea.

cheers
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    They do it in the swede, but not in the lightweight config. Has the standard profile barrel and is not threaded, so costs a few more buckeroos. 900-1000, still good value for a stainless rifle with a halfway decent stock.
    Ive had a play with a couple of the sub 1k rifles and the stocks are to a tee friggin awfull. Looked at that savage package, and any force on the forend flexes the stock into the barrel. Starts looking less of a bargain when you have to restock/bed just to get a stable shooting platform

Other option is ask to just buy a barrelled action, gunworks were doing a howa 6.5 x 55 stainless barrlled action and then get a boyds laminated stock, will probably cost about the same, be a lot stiffer and look nicer.

Both my howa/weatherbys are now bedded in boyds stocks, and man can they shoot!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Other option is ask to just buy a barrelled action, gunworks were doing a howa 6.5 x 55 stainless barrlled action
    Now where did that end up?
    Spudattack and Toby like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!