Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Grease not oil on bolt actions?

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I.. Lugs ...surfaces hardened/treated appropriately. ...
    Not necessarily so. The hardness of bolt lugs and their matching faces in the action if too similar, can make them prone to galling. I have one such action, namely an RPA CG-2000. You DEF need to keep those faces lubricated.

What i call a micro dot of oil is about half the size of a pin head.lols

@mimms2

Not sure whether your just being rude or ignorant.

Sanitize why? The link goes directly to the video on my systems. What else do you want?

I've tried most browsers available. On my Windows 10 tablet I prefer Bing. On my Android device I use Brave. Works for me. Feel free to use what you will.

Dago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Ha, you'd be surprised. Ask Dean Maisey about the fellow that saw copper in the muzzle end of his Tikka barrel and took to it with some green scotchbrite because that cleans everything...

After the buy-back/confiscation, the demand for misurp increased significantly with prices to match. In order to restore shine to dull and pitted bores, members of the ungodly fraternity used Brasso/Silvo, rubbing compound and similar to turn a sow into the silk purse.

Club nights are very useful to discuss firearm maintenance and cleaning techniques. Even old hands such as I value information like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Bolt : tiny dab of molybdenum disulphide (?sp) on the lugs
    That's what I do, little moly grease on the bolt lugs.

Use Eezox as a general cleaner/lubricant.
    Wipe the bolt with Eezox on a clothe.
    Also wipe done metal parts with Eezox after they've got wet.

Neither was the intent. I was just curious as bing never seems to return relevant shit, and is unsurprisingly full of MS and partners' advertising.

Your devices may be full of cookies. Try it again in "private browsing". The complete link as you posted looks like

Which is a whole lot less clean than:

And which goes to bing's search results page, not the creator's youtube one, or his video.
    Also if someone was inclined to hack you, there's probably a session ID in there that could be used to spoof / intercept your traffic.

,... What was I ignorant of?
    What are you ignorant of? Good manners mate. I know enough about technology to write a post. You clearly know more. So instead of commencing by rubbishing me for my choice of browser, try gently explaining the issue. I'm happy to be schooled on stuff I don't know much about, especially if its useful to me and even moreso if it affects others. But don't just publicly rubbish me like I should know better. I venture to suggest there are plenty of participants in this forum who are not as savy as you when it comes to browsers and posting links. Now that you have made me aware I'll endeavor to do something about it. Next time you might consider doing that first.
    Trout, Ozzy and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    You mean kerosene in a can? (*with propriety smelly crap and some interesting stuff that makes the kerosene spray out when you push the button on the top).
    nah thats WD40.....

Uhh.
    Like i says, wasn't the intent. Sorry to have offended ya, but I think you're reading more into my post than was there.

I don't think asking "why the hell" is rubbishing you. Guess I'm just a bit more coarse in conversation and it doesn't come across the internet well.
    Again, sorry.
    Accepted, forgotten, drinking more coffee (and contemplating browsers). Feel free to recommend browser choices. Maybe a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

interesting Phil on SO MANY LEVELS....
    #1 dont let any of your spray get near scop...it WILL root the seals
    #2 dont let spray/oil into bedding area for same reason,will break down compond...or at least could.
    #3 you SHOULD at mimimum clean bore to remove carbon build up...its worse with suppressors,if you dont you are limiting barrel life as next round is scooting down on top of old crud.I used to do similar with crc 5.56 but left barrel down over night so it could run out of muzzle and this was only when away from home.fogged a few scopes in that time....know why now.
    #4 if you take action out of stock and replace it...you COULD loose zero....and your action screws should be done up to same tension each time or you HAVENT RETURNED TO BATTERY.......eg the whole shebang isnt the same as it was when fired last shot so WHY would it shoot to same point of impact???

Phil...use boresnake or cleaning rod n patches when you get home...to take crap out,then light oil patch or spray,then store...in theory you should but clean patch through before use.....
    my 223 gets a couple of patches with Breakfree CLP on spear jag when come home to remove the majority of black sooty carbon etc,then a couple of dry patches,then a lightly oiled one...and Im tight enough to admit I flip each pacth over and use both sides before discarding..then rifle gets light whipe down with oily rag which sits on my cleaning table.......pretty much done this for last 23 years and the rifle still shoots better than I can,normally under inch when checking zero and around inch if mixing ammunition types.
    Mooseman and Phil_H like this.

northdude
    For storage i use lanocote. If i take the barrel and action out of the stock all the metal work that you cant get to without dissasembly gets a spray with lanocote before assembling.