Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The grendal. Is it dying?

Just picked up a barrelled action from Gunworks now I'm just waiting on the stock bits, in the short term I'm going to chuck my strike eagle from my AR on it to see how it goes. Then hopefully shoot a deer with it on the brother in laws farm

The Grendel isn’t dying. However things are dying from my Grendel...
    Name:  8ADF2A07-8058-4F3A-A9E7-D74C240343A5.jpeg
Views: 569
Size:  5.20 MB
    Name:  7B6F0505-7DDA-43A3-BE14-61114374852E.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  1.09 MB
    Name:  901E48A7-D8ED-49F3-94B1-1DFBD078EBB5.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  271.7 KB

No problems with 300m expansion - 123gr ELDM:
    Name:  A54D1414-A969-48F3-B2E6-A045EAC578FE.jpeg
Views: 430
Size:  206.2 KB
    tikka, GWH, Mathias and 4 others like this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I have a headache. Why do people keep posting pictures of cloverleaf groups about 4 inches off the bullseye?

My cz 527 carbine in 6.5 grendel is still my favorite rig.. cant see me parting with it any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I have a headache. Why do people keep posting pictures of cloverleaf groups about 4 inches off the bullseye?
    Because if you put it on the point of aim you can destroy you point of aim

Also it might be zeroed at 200 but shot at 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Because if you put it on the point of aim you can destroy you point of aim

Also it might be zeroed at 200 but shot at 100
    or it might be zeroed at 200 but shot at 20 too
    outlander likes this.

The only point of any of these 'wee' cartridges is if the rifle is the same size. Very few are.Otherwise you may as well have a 308/ 7 08. And as for the comment about rebarreling a 7.62x39 why would you do that? Just use that. I have a Howa Mini action with CF stock in 7.62 x 39. 5 pounds all up. Lovely and killing big stuff consistently out to 250m with it. I think with all these wee ones they are a heap of fun and if used within their limits, right projectile etc etc they are fantastic performers. Great for first timers and youth too.
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    To give you headache?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by FRST View Post
    The Grendel isn’t dying. However things are dying from my Grendel...
    Attachment 120463
    Attachment 120462
    Attachment 120464

No problems with 300m expansion - 123gr ELDM:
    Attachment 120465
    Nice, what velocity is it flinging the 123's at mate?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Nice, what velocity is it flinging the 123's at mate?
    Around 2550 I believe
    GWH likes this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

The latest issue of Firearms News just landed on my desk and in it was a long article on the 15th anniversary of 6.5 Grendal. Part of the article detailed a new AR Alexander Arms in 6.5 Grendal has released and the other half was about the development of the cartridge 15+ years ago. One comment made was that in a discussion among manufacturers, sales of 6.5 Grendal rifles have been brisk the past two years so it appears the round is here to stay.
    10-Ring likes this.

Sounds good. Definitely think it will be my next rifle I think. Should fill the gap between 223 and the 708. Most likely based I the visa mini action. Think I will get rid of that bottom metal.
    @FRST IS that the rifle that was for sale on here a little while back? Looks wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    Sounds good. Definitely think it will be my next rifle I think. Should fill the gap between 223 and the 708. Most likely based I the visa mini action. Think I will get rid of that bottom metal.
    @FRST IS that the rifle that was for sale on here a little while back? Looks wicked
    Yeah she is, I was struggling to find funds for my Africa trip. But I’ve been now so she’s staying in the armoury.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    The only point of any of these 'wee' cartridges is if the rifle is the same size. Very few are.Otherwise you may as well have a 308/ 7 08. And as for the comment about rebarreling a 7.62x39 why would you do that? Just use that. I have a Howa Mini action with CF stock in 7.62 x 39. 5 pounds all up. Lovely and killing big stuff consistently out to 250m with it. I think with all these wee ones they are a heap of fun and if used within their limits, right projectile etc etc they are fantastic performers. Great for first timers and youth too.
    If you can only afford one or two rifles, or none of the mini actions available tickle your fancy, then yes, go right ahead and get a short action 7mm08 and call it done.

Why rebarrel a 7.62x39? Because if money is not necessarily the primary concern, but maximising what you can do with a mini action is, then Grendel is the answer. Same if not more energy, better bullet selection with better BC's, inherently accurate etc... If you're happy shooting animals at 250m with x39, there's no reason 350m isn't doable with Grendel - and target shooting out to 1000m is possible too, if you're into that kind of thing. Whereas the x39 bleeds energy quickly, or can be quite lacking in the accuracy department, leading many to consider it a 200m cartridge - and it tends to drop subsonic at less than 600m.
    7.62, Mathias and winaa like this.

6.8x39mm could be interesting.....same arguments/strong points in its favour......some good projectiles out there now too.