Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gun Bluing

Gun Bluing

Hi all. I'm looking at fixing the blue on a few firearms and maybe blue a few carbon knives as well. They make it look easy on youtube but how easy is it? Anyone got experience using the Perma Blue products? Thanks

I’ve used them mainly for touch up work which is what they are mainly designed for there are some excellent YouTube vids on the subject but there is no substitute for high polish and warm metal. I usually leave the coats overnight to harden before polishing up and applying new coats when I used to do it as described on the container I felt I was rubbing the colour out and thinning the coat an old gunsmithing book I found in a library many years ago suggested the chemical process needed time to cure so that’s all I do different to the instructions on the bottle.
    I did note one vid showing the use of a browning solution before the addition of cold blue.
    Reason given were two fold it deepens the colour of the final product. And it provide rust resistance that cold bluing is not as good at.
    I haven’t tried this but I intend to give a crack when I find some browning solution.
    It will never replaced a good hot blue job though.

It depends on the YT channel you're looking at, there are some pretty good step by step vids!