Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gun City XR5 Night Vision goggles

so the Gen3 Katod tube is Russian made

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I would be interested in a demo sometime
    I emailed a guy a few days ago saying the same thing (a demo please) he said just buy it and you can return it if you don't like it.
    yeah right buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by mumabear View Post
    so the Gen3 Katod tube is Russian made

http://katod.org/

yes

thanks for clearing that up
    didn't tasbay say somewhere along the line he wouldn't import Russian nv cause it was crap,
    they sure must of upped there game some,

Katod tubes are the only Russian "Gen3"

Generation really refers to the design of the tube not necessarily the performance, although each generation has different performance limits

Gen 1 = shit, unusable without lots of ambient light or IR illumination
    Gen 2 = runs from pretty crap to pretty good (and hilarious $ for the pretty good, see DEP/Photonis XR5 prices)
    Gen 3 = pretty good to ~*amazing*~

Poor gen 3 can be worse than the best gen 2
    Gimp :Yep that pretty well sums it up. I was at GSCI in Canada 2 1/2 years ago looking over units and discussing just what I could get exported out of Canada along with what were the chances of U.S Gen3 tubes... Not a shit show.
    Then the conversation turned to Russian Katod tubes to that I was told they have a way to go and are not as good as Gen2 but they will get there. Well they have got their crap together and after testing GSCI now stock them. GSCI are suppliers to Military and Law enforcment and don`t want to cop a bad reputation for dealing dodgey Units.
    Anyway I have bought in 6 or 7 Katod Gen3 PVS-7 units in the last couple of months and all have way outshone the XR5 tube PVS-7 I have here. $6400 for the Gen3 compared to $14,500 for the XR5. 2 have made my U.S PVS-7 units look pretty silly.
    Well the guys who know me or have delt with me know I don`t supply crap.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I emailed a guy a few days ago saying the same thing (a demo please) he said just buy it and you can return it if you don't like it.
    yeah right buddy!
    I just sent 1 to a guy in Auckland today, Has never tried any NV in his life, was unsure (hell I would be) Hes paid for it and if he dosn`t like it he will get his money back........ Im pretty confident never had 1 sent back yet... 60+ sets so far.

thanks for clearing that up
    didn't tasbay say somewhere along the line he wouldn't import Russian nv cause it was crap,
    they sure must of upped there game some,
    Yes I think I said something like that, If you want Gen1 , Gen2 or Gen2+ Russian or Eastern block Digital don`t ask me. Get it from someone else I don`t want the warranty issues.
    Took alot to persuade me on the Katod Gen3.

have you looked though the one that can clip on front of your day optic ? any good

have you looked though the one that can clip on front of your day optic ? any good
    The CNVD-22. No not yet . Was asking about them a couple of weeks ago. I have applied for and Got End Use Certification for 5 CNVD-22 units I think they will be quite popular. They are still in manufacture and not due for release unitll early July.
    Im seriously thinking of bringing one in to see what its like.

I would be interested in a demo sometime

MUM + camera adapter for the pics?
    Gimp: A demo would be my pleasure. Im in Timaru 1st week of the school holidays to see some Cockys who have bought a couple of sets from me and want me to demo for a group of their farming mates... and I think his insurance agent.... Don`t ask!!!

The MUM-14 I can do but last time I asked about a camera adapter for 1 I was told.... How long you prepared to wait!!! Lets just say no camera adapter for the MUM. The new PBS-14 though!!.

I was meaning this one PBS14-ZL ,but I geuss that one would work

I was meaning this one PBS14-ZL ,but I geuss that one would work
    Nope haven`t used or imported one yet. New to inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Gimp: A demo would be my pleasure. Im in Timaru 1st week of the school holidays to see some Cockys who have bought a couple of sets from me and want me to demo for a group of their farming mates... and I think his insurance agent.... Don`t ask!!!

The MUM-14 I can do but last time I asked about a camera adapter for 1 I was told.... How long you prepared to wait!!! Lets just say no camera adapter for the MUM. The new PBS-14 though!!.
    When're the school holidays? Been a while since those counted for me and I'm in Oz a lot currently
    Pbs14 is pvs14 clone at a guess?

When're the school holidays? Been a while since those counted for me and I'm in Oz a lot currently
    Pbs14 is pvs14 clone at a guess?
    School holidays are the first couple of weeks in July I think. Going Wallaby shooting first.

PBS-14 is a PVS-14 Clone. Yep housings for the PVS-14 made in the U.S (can`t get without ITAR issues) and the PBS-14 Israil or Russia I haven`t asked.

Tools not Toys
    Still haven't sold that fing car Tasbay!! this Katod gear sounds interesting to say the least.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.