Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 5 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 2 Post By eamars
  • 4 Post By Friwi

Thread: A gunsmith question - head spacing.

A gunsmith question - head spacing.

I have a wee dilemma, I think I might understand the problem but would like some expert advice. Have a standard factory REM SA along with a standard REM factory bbl in 260 cal (new or near new) bought bbl from some one on here a while back. So sent off to get bbl attached to action via local gunshop. Also provided a unfired brass Lapua case for headspacing. Msg back from gunshop says “smith needs a 260 reamer to do the head spacing”. Hence my post asking if anyone has a reamer I could buy or borrow.
    So why would a reamer be needed when you’ve got a standard factory action & bolt, and standard factory bbl chambered in 260 ?
    I guess that within tolerances for action, bolt and bbl chamber you might end up with slightly undersize headspace once bbl is screwed in fully ? Hence need to ream chamber deeper by a couple of thou ? Am I on the right track ? Or would there be other reasons for needing reamer ? And, if I can’t locate a 260 reamer, are there other options ? Would a 243 reamer work ?

STC
    chainsaw likes this.

Thanks, trying to avoid the import hassle if possible

STC
    Not sure a reamer would pose any hassle?

Maybe had to trim a bit off chamber end for some reason. Did you ask guy thats doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Maybe had to trim a bit off chamber end for some reason. Did you ask guy thats doing it?
    Yes, via the gunshop. No details back as yet.

Just send it my way mate. I still owe you a favour.

To answer your question. Its all about quality and manufacturing. Remington actions are not manufactured to the same quality as a custom action is for example.

Why is a reamer needed? If the headspacing is to big or short the smith will need a reamer to correct it. To long: Your cases will stretch and be destroyed, to short and the cartridges wouldn't fit.

Between us: if anyone, especially a gunsmith wants to do head spacing using a case - get you rifle away from them.
    Last edited by Jaco Goosen; 07-02-2024 at 01:46 PM.

Yea so imagine that you screwed the barrel in tight, then the headspace was too short.
    You'd need to run a reamer through it to extend chamber to the correct length.

Or if headspace was too long, then I guess you'd machine a couple threads off the barrel so when it was screwed in tight, the headspace is correct. (not a gunsmith)

Eitherway the headspace should be determined by the go/nogo gauge instead of a vergin brass...
    chainsaw and Oli1102 like this.

Other solution, is fitting a custom recoil lug , slightly thicker. The benefit is that a bit of truing work can be done on the action face, bolt face and lug abutment/ contact if required . Final Headspace adjustment is then done by surface grinding the extra lug thickness or removing material from barrel shoulder. Proper go gauge is a must have. The only issue with that method is that you can not really time the barrel properly to have the writing where it should be.
    Maca49, 6x47, chainsaw and 1 others like this.

Thanks- Not too worried about the timing, can always get a new set of “260 cal” numbers stamped if need be.