Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Hardy Tikka Carbon Stock and Barrel Good deal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    They make kit for people with small peepee's. They don't actually do anything better than a $4200 rifle... in fact in many cases they don't do anywhere near as well, like a lambo getting eaten by a gtr...
    No. They make rifles with a different focus that what we normally see. Yes the GTR might beat the Lambo, but his is more like buying a tylored suit rather than a "off the rack" one at Farmers. Yes you are still in a suit. Yes most wont tell the difference. No you wont feel comfortable in one that does not fit. I had the pleasure of handling a Kreighoff semprio at the range a few years back. Everything about it screamed quality. The action worked like silk, POI stayed the same with the changing of the clip-on scopes and barrel changes. (multi calibre- went from a 300 win mag to a 223in about 45 seconds.) Design and function, and it was clearly well made. These are made for people who appreciate quality.

Maaaate. If only you saw where we take our vitara (And where we managed to get with our old Lada.......)

We once went trail bike riding up the firebreaks near where I lived many years ago. On the way up a dead end track to a skid site, we passed the local 4wd club out for a drive. Land Anchors, winches and ropes all out getting through a "rough" bit. I would have loved to see their faces when they finally got to the top but we did not have that long to wait for them. What we found at the top on the skid site was a local hunter (Literally) He was driving an beat up Hillman Hunter and had came up that same track the day before........No ropes, no 4wd, no power and no clearance.
    Last edited by timattalon; 04-12-2017 at 08:40 AM.

I don’t see carbon fibre as bling but a functional tool, slightly better balance, a lighter weight and a more ridged than the flexible factory plastic stocks. The cost justification, just shoot more meat for the fridge and the wife’s happy, and a happy wife a happy life.
    hotsoup likes this.

Personally I think carbon wrapped barrels, carbon stocks, custom actions are wicked. What's wrong with liking nice things? Hunting and outdoors is my passion. If owning a rifle like that enhances your enjoyment of the sport then why not? I'm all for it. I'm looking forward to owning a custom rifle one day, at the moment I'm cutting my teeth on a Tikka and learning the ropes.

I love all the product, equipment and all the research that goes into it. Half the fun of it for me!

I don't think it's worth the money.
    Not sure what the listed weight is, but the Tikka Superlight weights between 2.5 and 2.7 kg depending on what barrel length and is only $1600 from Gun City or H&F.
    Can add a carbon fibre stock to that and shed a bit more weight.

Whilst I don't see it as value for money is no more expensive than a Sako carbon light, which is just an overpriced Tikka in a carbon stock anyway.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I don't think it's worth the money.
    Not sure what the listed weight is, but the Tikka Superlight weights between 2.5 and 2.7 kg depending on what barrel length and is only $1600 from Gun City or H&F.
    Can add a carbon fibre stock to that and shed a bit more weight.

Whilst I don't see it as value for money is no more expensive than a Sako carbon light, which is just an overpriced Tikka in a carbon stock anyway.
    Stop inhaling so much jet fuel bud.
    You have now been banned from sending scopes to my place
    SlimySquirrel, BRADS and Beetroot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Stop inhaling so much jet fuel bud.
    You have now been banned from sending scopes to my place
    Sorry, now I'm on my days off hopefully the fresh air will bring some sense back to me.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Any more really useful advice like this?
    After recommendation to build a great lightish bolt action. I don't get like the carbon barrel thing either .Sako carbon lite.. they sound expensive ?
    I have a Tikka T3x Superlight (fluted barrel) with a carbon stock & DPT suppressor & Swaro z5. Very light, does everything I need it to. Looks sexy too. I recommend it @Jit
    Jit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    These are made for people who have more money than brains and only hunt the gentrified rolling paddocks.....
    Fixed it for you - have yet to see one of these rifles anywhere it might see a bit of a knock in a river or a bit of rough stuff...
    gadgetman likes this.

@Jit have a look at some of the less popular rifles also, there's more out there than Sako and Tikka. I picked up @Philipo's weatherby at Tobys shoot and shit it was nice to point and really light for a rifle that was running the factory stock etc.
    Jit likes this.

Jit
    All great advice. I run a bunch of blasers because I love gun's and engineering. I will only tolerate highly accurate rifles and premier glass. As always there is a balance , you can have everything , physics defines what can be realistically achiveed. I might just end up with a carbon stock , standard barrel and leupold scope to get the blaser into the light weight game and still not be flinching.

I love the idea of custom but technology now provides a light tikka with <.5 moa all day for peanuts. Very functional but Point is its not sexy wheres hr sheer pride in ownership.
    And there gentlemen is the nub of the issue for all sportsmen and women. We want more ..

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    There's no "Holy Grail" when it comes to scopes or rifles, theres always guna be something to stop it from scoring 100%, No guns perfect but then why would you want it to be, Character & love is under rated.

My Weatherby ultraight is a rifle that I always wanted, but never lived up to my expectations, a few grands later & "Tim" was born, It's still not perfect but it's my favorite bang stick & it just works so well.

If you really want something & can afford it, then buy it & be happy.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Fixed it for you - have yet to see one of these rifles anywhere it might see a bit of a knock in a river or a bit of rough stuff...
    Yeahhh naaaa.

Each to their own. I have no problem if someone wants to spend a whole heap of money to shave a little bit off their rifle weight cos they gotta carry it. Its your money to spend- you earnt it, you spend it. And I honestly do hope that you enjoy and like it. I simply choose not to as I gain greater differences else where. I carry a single shot- no magazine, just saves 5 rounds worth just like that. I lost 5 kgs using a push bike to go to and from work for 6 months....cant shave that much off my rifle. And if you pass me a heavier rifle, I man up and carry it and enjoy it. Mainly because it means I am somewhere I can carry a rifle, and enjoy life for what it is.

And I do see people using those "expensive" rifles to hunt with. That is what they are made for. The Semprio I was able to handle etc was heading up the alps for Tahr hunting having just had its 300minmag barrel sighted in. When (if) you ever get to handle rifles of this grade, you will go back to your tikka / winchestor / Howa / Ruger and think that the action now feels like it is full of sand. It is like comparing silk boxers with ones made of Hemp. Both do the same job but they do not do it the same....

As for your carbon fibre analogy- your carbon wrapped barrels and carbon fibre stocks have more in common with the Lambo than they do with the GTR.....all the bling and pretty, a bit lighter an yet still dont perform much better than much cheaper rifles....If a sub $1000 Howa can put 4 shots through the same hole at 100m and my .303 single Ruger can get a 40mm group at 300m why would I spend triple that on anything except more ammo for what I have?

Perhaps I am lucky that I get a different perspective on money and the attitudes towards it by those who have stupid amounts of it. (I dont- I work hard and save harder) When my decendants hand my grand fathers firearms down to their grand kids I can promise you it wont be a Tikka. Kiwis tend to look at rifles as a tool, a short term investment that has a job to do. Where a lot of more international hunters take a lot of pride in their firearm of choice. In fact a lot of these "gentrified" people you refer to wont even buy a Tikka to give to a servant or porter as a gift. Not good enough. Aesthetics, function and form all come together to make rifles that are a joy to hold.

Tikka do make a decent rifle, please dont get me wrong. Its just that Howa, Zastava, Weatherby, Savage, Toz, and Izhmash all make good rifles as well and for similar or less money. The firearms world is huge if you ever want to feel like a kid in a candy store.
    Jit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    There's no "Holy Grail" when it comes to scopes or rifles, theres always guna be something to stop it from scoring 100%, No guns perfect but then why would you want it to be, Character & love is under rated.

My Weatherby ultraight is a rifle that I always wanted, but never lived up to my expectations, a few grands later & "Tim" was born, It's still not perfect but it's my favorite bang stick & it just works so well.

If you really want something & can afford it, then buy it & be happy.
    You seem to forget my tikka 6.5x55 philipo!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    You seem to forget my tikka 6.5x55 philipo!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Hahahaha yes sorry Andy, There's always one exception to the rule
    Shootm likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!