Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HBAR 20" barrel for Service Rifle Shooting ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378

    HBAR 20" barrel for Service Rifle Shooting ?

    Hi guys,

    I have a Schmeisser 20" AR-15 A4 Rifle with a Heavy Govt Profile HBAR barrel.

    The rifle is being done up as a m16 copy.

    I was wanting get to get into service rifle shooting with it this year. I've been reading online and it seems that the standard 20" Government profile barrel which is lighter is more popular.

    Is a HBAR good to go for service rifle shooting or is it considered too heavy?

    Do many guys use a HBAR barrel?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    3,472
    It’s the same profile as my Schmeisser mid length Lothar Walther barrel. The diameter under the handguard and behind the gas block should be 0.96” diameter which should be the maximum allowed for service class.
    Square22 likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378
    Yeah it is legal, just wondering if it is common to shoot a HBAR 20" rather than a standard govt profile due to the weight. It is a Lothar Walther too, whole rifle seems really well made to be honest, tolerances are tight.

  4. #4
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    3,472
    Yep, plenty of HBar barrels. My Stag 20 barrel is HBar, not to 0.96 though.

    Name:  2F974984-1D0E-41A3-8EBE-28B0224C2382.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  1.68 MB
    Welcome to Sako club.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wairarapa
    Posts
    418
    Been running a 20" HBar Bushmaster for the last 12 years and it does the job. In that time I would say the 20" HBar has been the most common rifle used in the nationals. Personally I find the extra barrel weight an advantage for standing and rapid matches over carbine and M4 barrels. You also gain extra velocity with longer 20" barrel.
    Square22 likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Yep, plenty of HBar barrels. My Stag 20” barrel is HBar, not to 0.96” though.

    Attachment 104002
    Here is mine. It is actually 0.98 by the chamber but drops down to 0.96 so I think that is legal based on the rules?

    Excuse the marks on the D ring, I bought a cheap tool to get the d ring down...too cheap

    It is reasonably heavy in the hand, a lot lighter though since I got rid of the quad rail.

    Name:  20190131_150729.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  3.59 MB

    Name:  20190131_150841.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  2.87 MB

    Name:  Service rifle.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  135.4 KB

  7. #7
    Member dogmatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Gaul (Pukekohe)
    Posts
    3,472
    I pull the d ring by hand. Have the rifle muzzle down, stock in your stomach and pull the d ring towards you. Easier that way.
    Square22 likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

  8. #8
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    4,853
    I'm using an Aero HBAR, it is .980 at the chamber.

    Check the Match Code to confirm if vertical foregrip is allowed. I know it is for LMT spec, not sure for M16 clone.

    Also, if you are on A-cat license, check if a bayonet lug is ok. Easy enough to grind off with a dremel etc. Or get your E and get a nice A2 stock for it
    Square22 likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I pull the d ring by hand. Have the rifle muzzle down, stock in your stomach and pull the d ring towards you. Easier that way.
    Yeah man that is pretty much how I do it now, those tools suck.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I'm using an Aero HBAR, it is .980 at the chamber.

    Check the Match Code to confirm if vertical foregrip is allowed. I know it is for LMT spec, not sure for M16 clone.

    Also, if you are on A-cat license, check if a bayonet lug is ok. Easy enough to grind off with a dremel etc. Or get your E and get a nice A2 stock for it
    The lug was castrated when it was imported, It is hard to tell from the photograph but it has been grinded off on the sides sadly, at least it was done neatly.

    The rifle will be going E cat soonish.

    Code states 'Knights style front grips are permitted' - I actually imported that one from Brownells because of that (it is a genuine Knights they are not that expensive).

  11. #11
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    4,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Square22 View Post
    The lug was castrated when it was imported, It is hard to tell from the photograph but it has been grinded off on the sides sadly, at least it was done neatly.

    The rifle will be going E cat soonish.

    Code states 'Knights style front grips are permitted' - I actually imported that one from Brownells because of that (it is a genuine Knights they are not that expensive).
    Cool. you going to keep the carry handle and shoot irons or put an optic on it ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Cool. you going to keep the carry handle and shoot irons or put an optic on it ?
    I have a 3x Vortex thing, the poor man's acog.

    I'm a bit of a novice, can't you shoot both - aren't there irons only matches?

  13. #13
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    4,853
    depends where you shoot...

    Nationals has irons class, but much smaller field than optics (10 in that class vs 50 in service optics)

    Some of the big regional matches like ASRA don't have irons class - not sure why.

    At club level you will probably find some guys shooting irons.

    This weekend there is an irons only regional comp at CNIGC in Rotorua.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  14. #14
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,097
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    depends where you shoot...

    Nationals has irons class, but much smaller field than optics (10 in that class vs 50 in service optics)

    Some of the big regional matches like ASRA don't have irons class - not sure why.

    At club level you will probably find some guys shooting irons.

    This weekend there is an irons only regional comp at CNIGC in Rotorua.
    Which still has one or two places left...
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  15. #15
    Member 40mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Jaffa
    Posts
    2,290
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    I'm using an Aero HBAR, it is .980 at the chamber.

    Check the Match Code to confirm if vertical foregrip is allowed. I know it is for LMT spec, not sure for M16 clone.

    Also, if you are on A-cat license, check if a bayonet lug is ok. Easy enough to grind off with a dremel etc. Or get your E and get a nice A2 stock for it
    Dont grind it off! If its not a hassle ill swap you my one which is already neutered. (what is involved in removing and replacing a front sight/gas block?)

    JUst finished reading the rest of the thread.....
    Cancel my request.

    Iron sights are indeed fun.
    Use enough gun

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 14.5" barrel for service rifle - is this going to be long enough?
    By Square22 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-01-2019, 01:32 PM
  2. Shimano "service"????
    By Shearer in forum Fishing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28-06-2018, 10:19 PM
  3. WTB: Split handguard (full length) for 20" service rifle barrel
    By ebf in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM
  4. Shooting Apps "Range Buddy" and "Reloading Assistant"
    By Dead is better in forum Resource Library
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-01-2017, 05:23 PM
  5. Internet "service" providers
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!