Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Heckler & Koch SP5 (MP5A3)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bob Briggs View Post
    Sorry, but that's total BS lol.
    Have a quick shufti at my profile and you will see that I have a smidge of experience in this field. My criticism of H&K is based on years of personal experience repairing (and using) their products. There is also the fact that I have seen and handled the large pile of dead MP5's that have failed in use by an unmentionable group within our Defence Force. My own experience with a good few MP5's over the years only reinforces my comments.

I will add that H&K guns go well until they stop. Those fairly frequent times are almost always caused by parts breakage.
    Last edited by gundoc; 02-03-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    grunzter and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Have a quick shufti at my profile and you will see that I have a smidge of experience in this field. My criticism of H&K is based on years of personal experience repairing (and using) their products. There is also the fact that I have seen and handled the large pile of dead MP5's that have failed in use by an unmentionable group within our Defence Force. My own experience with a good few MP5's over the years only reinforces my comments.

I will add that H&K guns go well until they stop. Those fairly frequent times are almost always caused by parts breakage.
    How many high round count POF MP5s have you handled? And what failures did you see on the HK rifles? Most breakdowns of roller delay guns are due to extractor springs, magazines, and bolt gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bob Briggs View Post
    How many high round count POF MP5s have you handled? And what failures did you see on the HK rifles? Most breakdowns of roller delay guns are due to extractor springs, magazines, and bolt gap.
    About half a dozen POF's, all of which never gave any problems and are still going. Rifle problems are fractured receiver covers, fractured bolts, fractured rollers, fractured return spring arms (rimfire semi-autos), fractured pins, burred out trunnions, etc, as well as all the other problems you mentioned. A good number of H&K rifles were used by the venison recovery industry and were found wanting compared to other rifles, but, to be fair, these rifles were all firing many thousands of rounds. By comparison the FN FAL would go through several re-barrels without breakage over several hundred thousand rounds. With our Special Forces the H&K MP5's usually crapped out within a year. H&K offered NZ free military rifles some years ago provided we signed a long-term service contract. The offer was refused.
    308 likes this.

About half a dozen POF's, all of which never gave any problems and are still going. Rifle problems are fractured receiver covers, fractured bolts, fractured rollers, fractured return spring arms (rimfire semi-autos), fractured pins, burred out trunnions, etc, as well as all the other problems you mentioned. A good number of H&K rifles were used by the venison recovery industry and were found wanting compared to other rifles, but, to be fair, these rifles were all firing many thousands of rounds. By comparison the FN FAL would go through several re-barrels without breakage over several hundred thousand rounds. With our Special Forces the H&K MP5's usually crapped out within a year. H&K offered NZ free military rifles some years ago provided we signed a long-term service contract. The offer was refused.
    I believe Battlefield Las Vegas attribute those problems to worn recoil springs.

The recoil spring is a completely different beast. By not changing it often enough, you will eventually destroy your receiver. The problem with the recoil spring is that it's right in front of your face but it rarely got changed up until recently. We now have a PC in the armory so the armorers can leave reminders to change springs out after three months. We've lost MP5 and G3/HK91 receivers because not changing the recoil springs. The receiver will start to bulge where the bolt carrier bottoms out at the stock. The weak recoil spring allows the bolt to come back with so much force that the rollers eventually to put reverse dimples/bulges on both side of the receiver. If not caught soon enough, the roller will eventually just start getting caught in those dimples and the bolt carrier will stay stuck to the rear. The other issue that occurs is the receiver will crack where the rear stock pins attach. Both issues are caused by the bolt carrier group slamming back so hard that the sheet metal eventually gives
    10-Ring likes this.

Just one more drool...

Name:  131919d1583105710-heckler-koch-sp5-mp5a3-img_3406.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  1.74 MB
    Jewcati likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

My original H&K MP5-N

New in the box, never fired a round. Except at the factory

Name:  IMG_3713.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  497.4 KB
    dogmatix and grunzter like this.

MSL
    It’s not new in the box, it’s out of the box, very second hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArlingtonArms View Post
    My original H&K MP5-N

New in the box, never fired a round. Except at the factory

Attachment 139964
    the profile says n.z, the power board says elsewhere
    that you komrade cindy or one of your minions ?

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    www.arlington-arms.com

grunzter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    We had a ton of stuff with foreign-to-here plugs that we ran for a while by converting the plugs on a couple the multi-boards that came over with them (then changed plugs on everything as time went by. Still have a multi board somewhere for visitors from that part of the world)
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    We had a ton of stuff with foreign-to-here plugs that we ran for a while by converting the plugs on a couple the multi-boards that came over with them (then changed plugs on everything as time went by. Still have a multi board somewhere for visitors from that part of the world)
    Must be dodgy then - even went to the expense of importing that cheap Morton fizz i get from Pak n Save to wherever he is in the world. That there is dedication

@gundoc You my good sir are a master of understatement. to say that you have "a smidge of experience in this field" is like saying Bill gates has " a smidge of cash available to him".......

For what it is worth, @Joe Bob Briggs I would strongly suspect that even H&K would listen to someone like this gentleman....
    Last edited by timattalon; 17-05-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: better metaphor...
    Husky1600, Mauser308 and csmiffy like this.