Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Help please - Remington 700 (short action) Bolt issue.

Help please - Remington 700 (short action) Bolt issue.

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.... I've noticed when cleaning my bolt face of my 223 I had some brass filings on the bolt face around the plunger. Weird I thought, and cleaned them out and removed all the carbon from the area. Then I realized something else didn't kinda look right...

Hopefully I've managed to attach the image successfully... but from about 3 O'clock to 4.30 you'll notice the circle isn't rally a circle anymore and the second of the small ramp / recess lugs has broken off...

Name:  IMG_0500.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  417.0 KB

So safety first.... is it OK still to fire until I can get it sorted by a gunsmith or replacing the bolt face assembly itself for a new one ... was hoping to use it next weekend if I can. Have tested a couple of rounds through the action (unfired) and it seems to cycle OK and its not the big locking lugs that lock up the action just assists the round holding it in place as it moves from the magazine into the chamber...

Second - how hard is it to repair / replace this part. I had a quick look on the net last night and it seemed none of the major sites have this as an accessory so is it a order and wait job - either locally or from the States???

I'd really like some advice here guys the gun is out of warranty period but hasn't had a lot of rounds through it probably around a hundred or so. You can tell by the wear on the blueing and the rest of the gun. Also a bit wary in case the bolt face has a bigger fault associated with it that might be hidden such as over tempering etc.

Any of you guys had a similar situation to this??? would love some advice as this rifle otherwise is absolutely mint and shoots like a laser beam...

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    The Remington clip type extractor. You should be able to get one locally, or you can get a good gunsmith to machine your bolt up and install an M16 or Sako type extractor.

You might have trouble extracting the odd fired round until you get it sorted.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

You should get a gunsmith to have a look at that and if it was me I would be very interested as to why that has happened. No good putting a new bolt in there (if needed) and you haven't worked out the why. What ammo have you been using for example?

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    The Remington clip type extractor. You should be able to get one locally, or you can get a good gunsmith to machine your bolt up and install an M16 or Sako type extractor.

You might have trouble extracting the odd fired round until you get it sorted.
    Looks like there is a chunk missing from the bolt face rim to me?

Oh right, prob should get a smiths opinion on that then, might be able to machine it out and sleeve it. Julian has the extractors.
    Gunsmithing &Reloading Tools - Remington Extractor - Rivetless '06 Bolt Face, Remington Rifles

Hey Shamus - all factory Hornady SP and V-max 55 Grainers... All fired happily - I just noticed the fault when cleaning the bolt otherwise cycling ok except for taking a few little burs off the bottom of the brass where it contacts the edge..

The only ramp is missing and the overhang of the bolt that holds the rounds in place has not cracked any further than that just has taken a chip off the edge...

Any suggestions as to a local gunsmith worthy of this type of work in the Auckland area so I can get it to them Tuesday???

Thanks guys for your comments and help thus far!

P.

I'd guess it's had it's bolt brute-forced open over a stuck case in the chamber at some point. That would explain the chip out of the bolt rim.

Talk to Mike Shepherd at Westgate H&F he'll know who's doing what these days. He used to fire stuff off to Gary McColl (MAE). Gary only took work through shops. There's also a gunsmith up Wilsons Road (South Kaipara Head) but his name escapes me right now, sorry.
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 25-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    I'd guess it's had it's bolt brute-forced open over a stuck case in the chamber at some point. That would explain the chip out of the bolt rim.

Talk to Mike Shepherd at Westgate H&F he'll know who's doing what these days. He used to fire stuff off to Gary McColl (MAE). Gary only took work through shops. There's also a gunsmith up Wilsons Road (South Kaipara Head) but his name escapes me right now, sorry.
    That's a negatory on the brute force over a stuck round as far as my personal ownership and use. It's never failed to easily load or extract whilst I owned it (although it could have been subjected to damage earlier and had a fracture to the lug that couldn't be seen easily) hence spotting the brass burrs on the bolt face was the first thing I noticed and no bits of metal noticed in the magazine - although it must of fallen out at some point when unloaded and made safe at the end of a detail on the range.

As for H&F I've had varying results up there. Mike is absolutely awesome and his knowledge is simply brilliant. But I've had issues with a certain young fella in there multiple times giving incorrect information and shocking service including when I had a firearm sent from there to Christchurch. Dropped off firearm and paperwork, scope and ammo for transit. Customer rang me a week later complaining that it hadn't arrived - Well it hadn't even left arrived at the other end without 2 of 3 of the boxes of ammo and when I sent a pick of what was sent. Poor old Dave said it didn't look like that when it arrived.

So mate I'll give them a ring to discuss who in Auckland may be able to fix this bolt but I'll make sure I speak to Mike!

You'd think isn't there a outfit in Avondale doing actions (Borden I think) that would be capable of this kind of thing...

Thanks Guys for all the advice especially @Shamus and @ishoot10s the 223 is booked in and off to the Gunsmith this morning - Thanks to Mike and Dave at Reloaders! for the eyes on and getting it off to the smithy and quickly sorted out for me...

Hopefully it still shoots 10's when It comes back I've got some new BlitzKing handloads I need to try in it ...

I'll let you know the results once back and shooting again as it may help some other person in a similar situation again soon....
    ishoot10s likes this.

Mine also has brass filings/shavings after firing. Will take a better look tonight.