Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Help - stuck bolt

poke loaded round in press with no die...lift round up through threaded hole and carefully hold projectile with vice grips,you can pull projectile by backing the case back down...you might loose 1 in 30 projectiles to grooves from grips..or not. I have never damaged one beyond usable. have hammer type puller now.

Bummer… anyone got a bullet puller I can borrow?![/QUOTE]

Yes.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    poke loaded round in press with no die...lift round up through threaded hole and carefully hold projectile with vice grips,you can pull projectile by backing the case back down...you might loose 1 in 30 projectiles to grooves from grips..or not. I have never damaged one beyond usable. have hammer type puller now.
    What Mick said and put some tyre-tube rubber inside the jaws - provides more grip and less damaging
    nor-west, Trout and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I don't own a savage but friends do and they are excellent rifles. The floating bolt head design is supposed to ensure better locking by permitting the locking head to "wobble" slightly and therefore align itself properly in the recesses. There is an added bonus that headspace is easy to ajust with different size bolt heads same as in the Lee enfield.
    The bolt head is attached to the bolt body with a cross bolt pin with a hole in the middle to allow the firing pin to pass through which holds the parts together..
    In theory this cross pin can bend or snap rendering the gun unusable.
    The omark version had some early failures resulting in destroyed guns (the so called small pin version) so named because the far side of the pin going into the bolt body was only about 3mm in diameter and could snap under the load of closing or opening the bolt.
    The answer was to double the size of that part to 6mm.
    The photos are of an omark bolt complete and with the bolt head removed showing the firing pin and cross pin.
    Hopefugly that's helpful
    Surprising how many you still see with the small pins. Mate had one recently that had not been upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The omark version had some early failures resulting in destroyed guns,,
    Far worse than that, it destroyed a few faces as the thing would fire with the lugs not being engaged

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Surprising how many you still see with the small pins. Mate had one recently that had not been upgraded.
    You're right, I've seen the odd one on Tardme, where the seller has pictured the bolt.
    Otherwise, any that have small pins must have been stored for ever because at the height of Omark popularity the small pins were banned on NRANZ ranges. Still are now as far as I know.

Mine had the big cross pin when I got it but I proceeded (in my ignorance of youth) to crack the pin on one side by repeated dry firing. There's a shoulder on the firing pin that smacks into the bolt head pin if dry firing.

Probably getting spares now is a bit of a chore.