Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree39Likes
  • 1 Post By Husky1600
  • 6 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By Pongo12
  • 2 Post By garyp
  • 10 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By erniec
  • 4 Post By FRST
  • 1 Post By DeonK
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 6 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Southerner223
  • 2 Post By T.FOYE
  • 1 Post By Bagheera

Thread: Hi-Tec recoil pad replacing

Hi-Tec recoil pad replacing

The thin pad on my .223 has worn out through being used as a walking stick.

I will replace it with a lump of cut out Jandle.
    What glue do people recommend?? I have Ados contact glue - but is there something better?

@FRST what do you use?

Name:  IMG_7339.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  325.1 KB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I'd be using something a bit better than Ados, it doesnt seem to last too long, especially in a high use situation. Not sure what all the fancy products are nowadays, but I have used Stormsure/Aquaseal in the past and had no problems. It is used for repairs on waders and boots etc, but has the advantage of being a "filler" and adheres better cos it fills in all the wee holes in either the butt or the butt pad.
    Tahr likes this.

Pop into a rural vet and ask them for the shoof stuff they use to glue blocks onto cows feet. If it can keep a block glued to a 600kg cows foot until it's worn down to nothing it can hold anything! I used it to glue jandle pad on an old shotgun last year and no signs of letting go anytime soon .

Don't get between your fingers..
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I use the 2 part araldite for allsorts. Seem to hold well. Glued a butt pad onto a carbon stock and all happy days, my 3030 wooden stock etc etc
    Tahr and dannyb like this.

Bit of jandal! You have got to be kidding me. I always use Pachmayr pads and glue with 2 pot araldite.
    Tahr and Maca49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Bit of jandal! You have got to be kidding me. I always use Pachmayr pads and glue with 2 pot araldite.
    It wont just be any Jandal. Red Band brand for sure.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

With an ice cream container lid cut for the white line spacer.
    Tahr and nor-west like this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Jandal wouldn't be suitable for a nice wood/blue rifle Gary, but if it's going on a lightweight carbon stock they are actually pretty good and around a third of the weight of a rubber one. Tahr, I use Norski 2-pot 4-to-1 epoxy from Bunnings, thickened up with some micro baloon glue powder and black Norski tint. Happy to sort out for you if you want.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

Ados builders glue from Bunnings just as good.
    Tahr likes this.

I use heaps of the Ados Builders Adhesive, a two-pot epoxy that comes in two reasonable size tins for about $80. Goes a long way. It's fantastic stuff and sets very hard, but I very much doubt it would stick well to any "greasy" PE type material. For contact glue, I tend to use the CRC Ados Ultra High Strength Spray Adhesive. Sh!t to a blanket usually. Stuck a rubber mat to a rear bag spacer the other day and she ain't moving.
    Tahr likes this.

I got a pair of size 13 Jandals for the job from KMart today. $1.25 Sorry @garyp
    - Rumi

Churrr

I done mine on my carbon stock using selleys urethane sealer. I haven't had anything come off after using it, and I know it doesn't come off your fingers if you try wipe it!

I used warehouse jandels, must of overpaid. Were about 2 bucks from memory!
    Tahr likes this.

Sikaflex 210 I think it is. Be really sure you want whatever you apply that to. I have a speargun I stuck a plastic rail to and that was 20 years ago.
    Tahr and dannyb like this.

Good on you Tahr.

I used Jandal material on my 303 for a while. Just held it in with the two big screws that used to hold the brass butt plate. A kindly older hunter gave me a new thick butt pad and that lasted a few decades till it went soft and gooey.

I've put new butt pads on my guns (Pachmayr basketweave, I like) but just used silicone sealant so I can take them apart easily. It only lasts a couple of years but I just rub the remnants off and put more on each time I take things apart. It would depend whether there's a solid surface under the current pad and what its screwed into.
    Tahr likes this.